Cheap Continuing Education Course?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap Continuing Education Course?

I have used a $20 course for many years. But this year they raised it to $32.95. Does anyone know a lower priced course out there? Thank you.

You might want to try Platinum.

Become a tax preparer or notary today with our irs approved tax preparation courses and california notary classes. Platinum Professional Services offers online tax courses and enrolled agent courses.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

The IRS offers a lot of free education, but do you need the credits to report as an EA or CPA? Or, just want to update?

Comment

$32.95 is still a good deal on the CPE. I have taken the Platinum Professional Services Courses. They are cheap and really just a rehash of the pubs. TTB CPE is very good. Like how it is broken down. I purchased a CPE course for $195 this year on business returns. Really wasn't worth the price as the material was overwhelming.

Comment

APlusCPE

Try APlusCPE. I just got a notice for 24 hours of EA CPE for $54.95. That is a great price. And the IRS has some also for free.

Comment

I am looking for CHEAP webinars

I am looking for CHEAP webinars. Anyone know of any vendors? Is so please post with their web addresses.

Comment

From Twitter:

IRS ‏@IRStaxpros
              Online seminars from the 2014 #IRS Nationwide #Tax Forums are now available. http://go.usa.gov/vKXA

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                From Twitter:

IRS ‏@IRStaxpros
                Online seminars from the 2014 #IRS Nationwide #Tax Forums are now available. http://go.usa.gov/vKXA
                Sorry folks but if you want to be treated as a professional, I think the question should be more appropriately asked - Is there quality CE available at a reasonable cost?

Comment

I agree

There are loads of CPE webinars available. I'll mention also TTB has some printed/test material that will assure CPE credit for a reasonable price.

However, I prefer to attend live seminars with good speakers, who can field relevant Q&A in the best possible way. Live seminars are no guarantee, however, as I have encountered a couple of speakers who simply read from the curriculum.

And bigger is not always better. One of the largest is the Illinois Farm Seminar which has been replicated by land-grant colleges in over twenty states. Some of them have good lecturers, some do not. One of the smallest (serving only three states) is "Back-to-Basics" out of suburban Green Bay, WI. Great lecturers and great printed curriculum. I would go to Back-to-Basics more often except for their limited geographical area.
                  Also, there are the "Gear Up" seminars in place for many years now owned by Reuters, and Bob Jennings seminars who takes a very personal involvement in his methods.

This doesn't answer the original post because that discussion centers around bargain-basement training. Not to sound critical, but the failure to seek value sends a message about how serious is our approach to improving our knowledge.

Comment

I agree. I've taken my share of cheap CPE classes. You get what you pay for. I Jennings, his seminars... I bought just the manual at first. That thing is HUGE 700 pages on the business course. As I said not worth the price as it was overwhelming but his seminars are great.

This year I purchased checkpoint premier cpe. For $299 you get unlimited 1 to 4 hour webinars and access to over 450 courses. 3000 in cpe credits. Not all of the courses are just for tax. But I've gotten to an point where I want to not only keep up on what is new but also take courses that cover basic to advance topics in tax and accounting topics.

Comment

I have been considering Checkpoint Premier

[QUOTE=geekgirldany;This year I purchased checkpoint premier cpe. For $299 you get unlimited 1 to 4 hour webinars and access to over 450 courses. 3000 in cpe credits. Not all of the courses are just for tax. But I've gotten to an point where I want to not only keep up on what is new but also take courses that cover basic to advance topics in tax and accounting topics.[/QUOTE]

I have been looking into Checkpoint Premier for a couple years now. Did you already watch some webinars and what is your opinion? Is the $299 for a calendar year or for 12 month period?

Comment

I've used Checkpoint Premier too, and I've liked it. I really like the webinars, especially the monthly 'update' ones that give a few highlights of recent things going on. Although I wish the webinars had an 'on demand' option, rather than needing to watch 'live'.

The written courses are okay. Nothing wrong with them, but nothing extraordinary about them either. I mostly like Checkpoint for the webinars.

It's for a 12 month basis. So you could hypothetically sign up in mid year to get all of your CPE for that year and then the next year, then unsubscribe for the next 12 months. However, it automatically renews itself, so you need to specifically call to cancel it near the end of the 12 months.

Comment

Pretty much what Bill said. I too wish the webinars were on demand. Hopefully they will get that in the future. I like the online courses, the way they are laid out is nice. Plus they have a large variety to choose from which makes the price worth it.

Comment

I enrolled in one of those 12 months unlimited webinars.

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post
                            It's for a 12 month basis. So you could hypothetically sign up in mid year to get all of your CPE for that year and then the next year, then unsubscribe for the next 12 months. However, it automatically renews itself, so you need to specifically call to cancel it near the end of the 12 months.
                            I purchased 12 month unlimited Webinars with Global CPE back May of 2013. Completed 40 hours in 2013 and 16 1st quarter of 2014. Global has on demand webinars so I am curious why more webinars vendors don't offer it.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
                              I purchased 12 month unlimited Webinars with Global CPE back May of 2013. Completed 40 hours in 2013 and 16 1st quarter of 2014. Global has on demand webinars so I am curious why more webinars vendors don't offer it.

But unlimited webinars for Global costs twice as much as Checkpoint. I would GUESS it just costs more to set up on demand webinars that are eligible for CPE, because they require test questions, polling questions, or some other way to determine that you are actually watching the video.

Global CPE is the Industry Leader in cutting edge CPE content delivery. We offer Live CPE Seminars, Online Self-Study, Live Webinars, On Demand Webinars.

All CPE subscriptions include virtually unlimited CPE credits for CPAs, plus a CPE tracker. Get all your CPE credits online for one low price. CPE subscriptions by Checkpoint Learning.

Comment

Working...
                              X