Enrolled agent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enrolled agent

I am a sole prop single man office. Would like to study and pass EA test. Test's scare the begibbies out of me being 62 years young. Anybody have any used books or cd's or recommend a reasonable provider of such materials.

Thanks

Look up...

Look up Gleim or something. I think something is going on in Orlando NAEA presentation if you want to check that out.

Comment

NAEA runs a webinar kind of course, might use Gleim materials. TaxMama.com has an online course with a good record of students passing.

Just take Part 1 to see how you do. If you've been preparing taxes, you'll probably pass. And, you'll know more about their testing. Then take Part 3. If you don't do business returns, study business entities before taking Part 2.

Many of the questions are like the examples in IRS pubs. Pick them up free from your friendly, local IRS office. Basis, basis, and basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
        ...Basis, basis, and basis.
        What's this basis stuff you keep talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by rkhan71 View Post
          Look up Gleim or something. I think something is going on in Orlando NAEA presentation if you want to check that out.
          Don't pay more than you have to -- the deadline for the early bird discount for NTPI Levels 1, 2, and 3 and the SEE Boot Camp at the NTPI ORL Conference is OCTOBER 3.

Circular 230 practitioners can earn up to 24 CE credits with NTPI, and both Boot Campers and NTPI attendees will enjoy networking in the beautiful Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek. The hotel cut-off is also October 3, so be sure you get the discounted hotel room rate by booking in advance of that date. Bring a friend who is not yet an EA to attend the SEE Boot Camp while you proceed down the path to becoming an NTPI Fellow - both of you will be making a great investment in your careers! And when you register, don't forget to sign up for the Fun Run/Walk benefiting the Scholarship Fund.

Boot Camp = November 5-7, 2014

Comment

Arthur EA Review and TTB

I've said it before and I'll say it again. What helped me passed the EA Exam was the Arthur EA Exam review here: http://www.eareview.com

AND.....The Tax Book really helped me understand concepts that were stressed on the exam (BASIS, as mentioned by DTS). I read the entire Tax Book and studied the materials provided by Arthur and passed the exam on the first go. I will say that I did study a lot, probably too much, but that never hurts of course.

Good luck to you, you will do just fine indeed. Remembering back in college, it was always the "elder" students that performed the best in difficult classes (Production Operations Management and Financial Accounting). Have fun with it!
            Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Comment

TAX4US - I feel your concern, however rest assured you can do it. I'm couple years older, and with much less experience than you (at age 64 I had worked only one year as a reviewer.) I took the TaxMama course, studied a solid 8 hrs @ day for months, and passed all three tests first try. Besides the benefit of the "EA" designation, I learned so much from those classes.

Here's a few links - some FREE

Invest in your future and set yourself up for success and ensure you get the support you need with our tax and accounting exam prep courses today.

Comment

I used EA review and had never done a tax return prior to taking the test except my own.
                Passed it the first time but I also put in 200 hours of studying.

Comment

Ea prep classes

1. Adults of any age learn differently that they did when they were in college and/or younger.
                  2. I am a pre-outsourced test (when IRS wrote and administered it) EA.
                  3. In the past, I have taught some EA prep classes for a national chain and a local tax group. The pass rate among those who did their assignments over a 12-14 week (once a week) class session was 95%.
                  4. What seems to work (from my perspective) is studying how issues are tested by looking at sample or actual questions from the EA exam, and concentrating your preparation on understanding the issues likely to be tested, the trick questions and phrasing, and learning to READ THE QUESTION and the possible answers before making up your mind. This is an RTFQ exam.
                  5. Phoenix Tax group had a great review for all parts of the EA. I don't work for them, wish I did at times, but their program works. (http://phoenixtax.com/). Yes, I am also surprised that the Tax Book folks don't have a good EA prep class but they are probably too busy during the summer on Lake Minnetonka. I have looked at the Gleim products in the past but they seemed to re-print basic tax 'law' and not so much on how to read a question or take the exam.
                  6. A few years back, NATP had an article on the 20 or so IRS publications you needed to know and/or read to understand the questions, the tricks and preparer for the EA test. My observation is that was and still is a good article and a good place to start.
                  7. Nothing worthwhile comes without effort and work; what you chose to achieve will be limited only by the extent of your dedication and the degree of your preparation. DON'T ARGUE WITH THE QUESTION!
                  8. Everything in taxes is about basis, as pointed out in an earlier post. Everything.
                  Last edited by mastertaxguy; 09-29-2014, 10:48 AM. Reason: typo, added item
                  Friends double; family triple. Don't buy an audit for yourself. If someone has to go to jail make sure it is the client. Remember it is only taxes, nothing important.

Comment

Working...
                  X