Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State Taxes Withheld when Missing W-2s? NJ and MD

Hi,
    I'm sure this varies around the country but I was hoping someone knows how to obtain the amounts of state tax withheld since it is not listed on the IRS transcripts. I've called the NJ Div of Taxation a few times and they claim they cannot access this info even though I have a signed NJ POA. The client may also have issues in MD though I haven't seen the info on this yet and haven't tackled it. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Winnie

Though the information absolutely must be in the NJ system somewhere I have never been able to get it from the State of NJ. Best bet is to contact the former employer for a copy of the W-2 or just estimate the amount of state tax withheld and file with that, assuming at that point NJ will correct it and send the correct refund or bill for balance due.

Comment

Had a few situations - I don't suppose the t/p has their last paycheck stub to indicate State taxes withheld.

Yes, IRS transcripts never indicate the State Tax Withheld

Employer, hopefully only one employer, should be able to produce a W-2 duplicate

Just had a MI that would not process a State Refund, until we could produce the 1099R MI withholding. - electronic file.

Good Luck

Sandy

Comment

Thanks for your replies - confirms what I thought. TP is dragging feet about contacting employers so I was looking for an alternative.
        NjTaxCPA - I agree with your idea of filing an estimated amount - the amount is definitely somewhere in their computers. I'm hoping to get this client filed before the NJ tax amnesty ends.

Comment

State tax Withheld

MD can give you amounts withheld if W-2 filed electronically with POA. Have this problem with DC they do not have the numbers. If you do not have W-2 you receive no credit.

Comment

Working...
          X