CP200 amt due by this date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CP200 amt due by this date

When it says due by this date, does the IRS count the actual date? In this case Sept 17. If the IRS signs for the letter on Sept 17th, does that count?

My thoughts

Hi Az-Tax,

I would presume that due date is when wanted and if you are late then it is the "actual date." Yes, if the due date is the 17th and signed for by the 17th, presumably on time mailing occurred. This what I read from your question. And I presume that you are asking about a CP2000 letter?

Ray

Comment

CP2000s (assuming that's what's meant) aren't processed on a strict timetable, since they're not statutory. You can generally get a 30 day extension with a simple call.

The computers aren't programmed to send the next letter out immediately after the deadline, since they have to allow time for an agent to process the information. Thus, even if the letter arrives on the 18th, there's a chance that someone could get to it and enter it into the system before the automation takes over. And even if the next letter is sent out, they're likely to process your response anyway and update it.

If you're really concerned, just give them a call - first thing in the morning Monday, or even Tuesday.
      Last edited by Gary2; 09-13-2014, 09:35 PM.

Comment

I was once told by someone at the IRS that they actually wait 30 days past the due date stated on the CP2000 because the taxpayer might be out of the country. But I don't know if that's universal or even true. In any event, a phone call will almost always gain you additionall time to respond.
        Last edited by JohnH; 09-14-2014, 07:14 PM.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I have called in often on the CP2000 notices, particularly when I am approaching 30 days and to file in POA forms.

I have been "told" by various IRS reps/agents, you do not need to call, we don't act on anything until the 60th day. There is a not noted additional 30 days.

I just always call and request a note in the taxpayer file.

Sandy

Comment

There is buried in the IRM

Section 4 comes to mind but I can't find it at the moment, a provision that allows a 45 day response time from the date of the CP2000.

I have actually asked PPS agents and AUR agents and they both confirmed that the IRS will allow up to 45 days for a taxpayer response on CP2000s. I have tested the theory, not intentionally, due to late taxpayer responses to my information requests.

And be sure to fax the information back (if possible) so you receive a confirmation. Then be sure to call to make sure they received the fax. I usually text the IRS to ensure they received my email about my fax confirmation regarding my voicemail.
            Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Comment

That is just the date interest is computed to. IRS won't worry about a couple of days extra. If you pay the balance due a couple of months later addtional interest will be added.

Comment

<<<I usually text the IRS>>>

I am curious...how do you to that? I do not know any IRS agent that will give you a cell phone number so you can text them.

Comment

Mike:
                  That's easy.
                  The text goes to the Belt + Suspenders Division of IRS.
                  "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I forgot about that. Thanks for the clarification:>)

Comment

That's my dry sense of humor

Originally posted by MAMalody View Post
                      <<<I usually text the IRS>>>

I am curious...how do you to that? I do not know any IRS agent that will give you a cell phone number so you can text them.
                      It drives my wife crazy. We have friends that ask, "Is he serious??" My wife just rolls her eyes! I know she secretly loves my dry humor.

However, I did have a client that was audited by a newbie that actually did email my client (regularly) during the audit and also provided her cell phone. I should have texted her. However, I think it was her 2nd or 3rd audit. We actually had some fun with it, but we were respectful. And she did not understand my dry humor at all, she was not an American and nowhere near....a Texan!
                      Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Comment

Working...
                      X