IRS POA fax number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS POA fax number

Can someone tell me the best number to fax a 2848 to the IRS? I've been using 1-855-214-7522 but it's been a while and not sure if still good. I'm in NJ - not sure if that makes a difference. Thanks.

This is my procedure with faxing in a POA to the IRS

What I have always done is call the IRS on the tax practitioners hotline. Tell the person who answers the phone you want to fax in a PAO. That person will give you a fax # and you then can fax it while the IRS person is on the phone. The IRS person will retrieve the fax and go over with you. I never fax in a POA unless I need to discuss the tax return with the IRS.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenbriar View Post
      Can someone tell me the best number to fax a 2848 to the IRS? I've been using 1-855-214-7522 but it's been a while and not sure if still good. I'm in NJ - not sure if that makes a difference. Thanks.
      That's the number I have for CAF. It worked two days ago so it must be the correct one. I couldn't get through to the PHL so just faxed it in and will call PHL next week again.
      "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

It still works, I just used it yesterday.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

I called the 800 number on the ltr

Thanks everyone for the tips. AZ - your suggestion worked. I called the agent and he gave me his fax number which I now have for followup if necessary. thanks everyone.

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
          What I have always done is call the IRS on the tax practitioners hotline. Tell the person who answers the phone you want to fax in a PAO. That person will give you a fax # and you then can fax it while the IRS person is on the phone. The IRS person will retrieve the fax and go over with you. I never fax in a POA unless I need to discuss the tax return with the IRS.

Comment

If I have a client sign a POA it is because I need to contact the IRS. I never trust that the IRS person I talk with will forward the POA to the CAF unit. Fax it to CAF always. If you do this you don't have to keep faxing it to whomever you speak with in the future.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
            X