Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deducting raw land property taxes on Sch A held for investment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deducting raw land property taxes on Sch A held for investment?

Maybe I am confused but if raw land is purchased for the purpose of an investment meaning no structure is to be built on it and the land is not to be rented out, are the property taxes deductible on Sch A or are the property taxes added to the cost basis?

What if the raw land was purchased with the intent the TP is to build their residence house but TP and still does not rent the land and ends up not building it and selling the raw land. Are the property taxes deducted on the Sch A each year?
    Last edited by AZ-Tax; 08-25-2014, 04:21 PM.

Either

In both situations you can choose either to dedcut or add to basis. If the choice is made to add to basis you must attach an election to the tax return. I know that once you take a deduction you can't add to basis in a subsequent year. My guess is, but I do not know this for a fact, that once you make the election to add to basis, I don't think you can change this.

Comment

Related question

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
      In both situations you can choose either to dedcut or add to basis. If the choice is made to add to basis you must attach an election to the tax return. I know that once you take a deduction you can't add to basis in a subsequent year. My guess is, but I do not know this for a fact, that once you make the election to add to basis, I don't think you can change this.
      Why would anyone NOT want to deduct (allowable) real property taxes on Schedule A??

The only issue might be AMT considerations or someone who cannot itemize and "use" the deduction.

What am I obviously missing here?

FE

Comment

Working...
      X