Off-Topic: Antivirus software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off-Topic: Antivirus software

I'm curious to know if any of you has ever used ESET Antivirus. Would you share your thoughts? A fellow I was speaking with about computer programs and sites suggested it and said it was very good, but I thought I'd like your opinions, as well.

Thanks,
    D

Suggestion...

While I can't help you at all with the antivirus software you mentioned, we have Microsoft Security Essentials on our home computers. After paying year after year for antivirus software...I believe it was Symantec...then getting a virus on my computer. They wanted to charge me to assist in getting it removed (what was I paying for all those years????) I switched to Microsoft Security Essentials about 5 years ago...no cost....have never had an issue with a computer virus since. The software is free to download from Microsoft's website and there is no monthly or annual fee to use their antivirus software.

I hope this helps!

Mo

Comment

Originally posted by Mo Sheets View Post
      While I can't help you at all with the antivirus software you mentioned, we have Microsoft Security Essentials on our home computers. After paying year after year for antivirus software...I believe it was Symantec...then getting a virus on my computer. They wanted to charge me to assist in getting it removed (what was I paying for all those years????) I switched to Microsoft Security Essentials about 5 years ago...no cost....have never had an issue with a computer virus since. The software is free to download from Microsoft's website and there is no monthly or annual fee to use their antivirus software.

I hope this helps!

Mo
      Thank you Mo. I have Security Essentials now and it seems fine to me. I'm also using Malwarebytes. both seem fine. Curious about this other one more than anything.

D

Comment

Can't help you on that software but our IT professional also put us on Microsoft Security Essentials and said it is as good as any other 'for pay' antivirus and free to use.
        "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Avast! is free and good too. A recent Consumer Reports magazine rates it higher than Microsoft Security Essentials.

Comment

Hopefully someone can help you, some tax software have issues with some antivirus software and that would be good to know before hand.
            "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post
              Avast! is free and good too. A recent Consumer Reports magazine rates it higher than Microsoft Security Essentials.
              I believe Avast! is free for non-commercial use in the home. Not that I imagine anyone is actively verifying commercial vs. non-commercial use, but MSE is free without the non-commercial limitation. (Small business, up to 10 devices, see licenses for details...)

Comment

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
                I believe Avast! is free for non-commercial use in the home. Not that I imagine anyone is actively verifying commercial vs. non-commercial use, but MSE is free without the non-commercial limitation. (Small business, up to 10 devices, see licenses for details...)
                Ah, yes. Thanks. I was just wondering my my work computer had Microsoft Security Essentials whn most our personal computers have Avast. Thanks for reminding me.

Comment

I have used Avast and the Microsoft product at home with good results. We have Managed Anti-virus on our server and workstation pc's. When we switched from Trend I had a Google redirect Trojan that I had went after with Avast, Anti-Malwarebytes, Housecall and Rootkitbuster without success. Within 10 minutes of the activation of the software it found and quarantined the Trojan. In my opinion it is the best I have worked with.
                  In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
                  Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

ESET is rated 8th on a ranking list of AV software according to one rating service. Here is a link where you can read an in-depth review about 28 AV products. The heading says it's a "Top 10" list, but there are actually 28 listed. It doesn't say who prepared the list, but it appears to be independent, as it doesn't seem to be an advertisement for any particular product.

Neither Microsoft Security Essentials nor Malabyteware shows up on that list, and I would be wary of both. Avast is ranked 26th on the same list.

Here's the link: http://www.top10antivirussoftware.com/Reviews
                    Roland Slugg
                    "I do what I can."

Comment

Malware bytes doesn't produce an antivirus as far as I know, they have a similar product aimed at malware instead. You could have a computer with some software you installed that has popups on every website you go to and it wouldn't be considered a virus or detected by virus scanners - that's their kind of thing. You would still want something for viruses as well. I don't use anything like their product but it has its place. That Microsoft Security Essentials isn't listed makes me more wary of the website rather than MSE. It's not like Microsoft is a fly-by-night corporation that'll be gone tomorrow. Worst thing I can say about it is others are quicker to detect.

Comment

Antivirus software

Thank you all for discussing this. Interesting.
                        D

Comment

Working...
                        X