OT- New York people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT- New York people

Hi. This is off topic, but I am trying to find out if anyone in the White Plains area knows anything about a company called Central Mowers Inc and Saleoutdepotcenter.com. They have the same address in White Plains...475 Central Ave. BBB says they are not member of BBB but it says they have been in business since 1958 and on file since 1978. The .com website has a riding mower listed for $400 that sells at Lowes for $1000. They say they buy in large quantities and buy discontinued models. That is quite a savings BUT not if it is not on the up and up. Just wondered if any of you New York people know anything about this company.

Thanks.

Linda, EA

Too good to be true

My philosophy is if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. As an aside, discontinued models sometimes do not have repair parts readily available.

Comment

Cub Cadet CC30

If you're looking at the Cub Cadet CC30, $400 sure is a good deal plus free shipping. I might buy one myself. Use your credit card, if you don't like it and they don't give you a refund, you can always get your money back from the Credit Card Company.

Comment

I'l post this over on my NY/CT-ATP bulletin board to see if anyone's around who might know something. Lots of Westchester County preparers.

Comment

To anyone in the greater NY area:

A great bargain (around $60/year) with great education and networking is the NY/CT-ATP (New York-Connecticut Association of Tax Professionals) with CE's for EAs, CPAs, and CFPs. Members include a few bookkeepers and QuickBooks experts as well as licensed securities and insurance salespeople in addition to the expected tax preparers.

Comment

no credit cards

you have to go to a place like Walmart or Walgreens or CVS or some other stores and buy some kind of money card. You pay the cashier your $400 cash and she gives you a card with that amount and a number on it. When you go online to order, you put in that number. They get their cash money before they ship your product to you. No recourse with stopping payment on anything. Said they don't use paypal because it costs them too much money.

Thanks Lion.... that would be a big help.
            My husband called a dealer a couple of miles down the road and asked that man if what he knew about Central Mowers. He said they had been there a long time. He didn't know anything about an website business. He was going to call that man who owns Central Mowers and let him know that some company was using his address for a web business. I wonder what came of that conversation.??? Hmmmm...

Linda, EA

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
              you have to go to a place like Walmart or Walgreens or CVS or some other stores and buy some kind of money card. You pay the cashier your $400 cash and she gives you a card with that amount and a number on it. When you go online to order, you put in that number. They get their cash money before they ship your product to you. No recourse with stopping payment on anything. Said they don't use paypal because it costs them too much money.

My husband called a dealer a couple of miles down the road and asked that man if what he knew about Central Mowers. He said they had been there a long time. He didn't know anything about an website business. He was going to call that man who owns Central Mowers and let him know that some company was using his address for a web business. I wonder what came of that conversation.??? Hmmmm...Linda, EA
              I wouldn't touch it with a 10-ft pole with those kind of payment requirements. They are making sure you can't get a refund.

Comment

Two cents worth --Larger items of $ amounts, I always try to use Amazon, etc - gives me the comfort of knowing if I have a delivery problem or a item problem, I have a resource.

As stated if not by credit card payment - cash pay only - makes it suspect

Good Luck

Sandy

Comment

Unless they are late to the ecommerce game, the website was created in 2013. Go to domaintools.com and do a look up on it. Owner's address listed in Pennsylvania. Phone number on the domain name registrant is in Indiana. So I would say it is too good to be true. Plus if you look up the Central Mowers Inc... they have a couple of bad reviews from 4 years ago.

If you are mechanically inclined, go to Lowes, they often have lawn mowers that people returned because of various mechanical failures. They will sell them at a VERY LOW price. Then you can go to the Manufactuer's website, find the part to fix it (which does not cost much) and you have a new lawn mower for less than half of what you would originally paid. I tell you if they are wanting to clear out their inventory you can buy lots of different tools super low.

Comment

Received this from a Westchester County preparer:

Ok, I'm showing my age here. Back in my high school and college days, I worked in a couple of equipment (lawnmower) repair shops. Central Mowers was one of the places we would buy parts from on occasion. This was in the 1970's. It may have been sold etc several times since.

Of course the internet was not even a glimmer in Al Gores eye at the time, so Saleoutdepotcenter.com did not exist.

Comment

No Credit Card, No Business!

If this store does NOT accept credit cards for out of state orders, STAY AWAY!

My kid got burnt with an out of state company that only accepted those money cards that you get at Walgreen. There is nothing you can do with those cards if the seller is a crook!.
                      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
                      X