Social Security Disability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social Security Disability

Is this taxed like regular social security?

Originally posted by zeros View Post
    Is this taxed like regular social security?
    Yes

From TCS 2002-77
    “since 1984 Social Security disability benefits have been treated in the same manner as other Social Security benefits.”

Comment

Interesting Case

Here's an interesting case. The benefits from a taxpayer-paid disability policy required an offset for any social security disability benefits received. The taxpayer applied for SS disability benefits and received SS disability benefits retroactively which were paid back to the insurance company. The SS benefits became taxable. Just something else to watch for if dealing with clients receiving disability income from a policy they purchased.

Comment

Taxable but they are excludable from income when appyling for certain benefits. Here they don't count as income when applying for a homestead exemption.
        In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
        Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Soc Sec Benefits are excludable from income tax in a lot of states. Probably the majority of them. I know some states tax them.

Comment

Sadly, Nebraska taxes SS to the same extent as the Fed. There is supposed to be some relief coming this year.
            In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
            Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

You're probably aware of this already, but just in case: Retroactive Social Security disability payments are the main reason for looking at the Lump Sum Election on Social Security. It doesn't always help, but it's always something that should be calculated.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
                You're probably aware of this already, but just in case: Retroactive Social Security disability payments are the main reason for looking at the Lump Sum Election on Social Security. It doesn't always help, but it's always something that should be calculated.
                Good point! Drake SW requires a manual calculation using IRS worksheets. Does other SW include a worksheet?

Comment

ATX has a Lump Sum Election worksheet and it will calculate it for you.

Comment

Software shortfall

Originally posted by Zee View Post
                    Good point! Drake SW requires a manual calculation using IRS worksheets. Does other SW include a worksheet?
                    Can't believe Drake does not provide worksheets for this very common situation.

Since it is now apparently unwise to mention here other "lesser" software providers, let's just say I know that "other tax software" DOES have such worksheets readily available. Generally the greatest amount of preparer work is finding the tax return data for the applicable year(s) covered by the retroactive distribution.

Oh yes: Glad I don't live in Nebraska !!

FE

Comment

Yes, one of the items I do not like about Drake they do not calculate the LSE in their software, fortunately I have CFS tax tools

Sandy

Comment

States that DO tax Social Security benefits

FYI (Thirteen states currently assess income tax on Social Security benefits.)

Your Social Security benefits may not get a free ride in these 13 states. Find out what you can do to boost your retirement income and get the most out of your Social Security benefit.

Think I'll scratch Colorado from my potential retirement locations!

FE

Comment

Working...
                        X