TaxAct Transfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TaxAct Transfer

I have used TaxAct for several years on my Windows XP. I want to transfer everything to a new Windows 7. How can I transfer the program with all my data info (preparer's info and clients) to the new computer? I downloaded the yearly programs from TaxAct for each year but of course the data info is not there. I do have the clients returns in other folders already on the Windows 7. I am sure there is a simple way, but I am no computer expert. Thanks for your help!

Ask TaxAct.

Comment

Files for TaxACT

Originally posted by ruthc View Post
      I have used TaxAct for several years on my Windows XP. I want to transfer everything to a new Windows 7. How can I transfer the program with all my data info (preparer's info and clients) to the new computer? I downloaded the yearly programs from TaxAct for each year but of course the data info is not there. I do have the clients returns in other folders already on the Windows 7. I am sure there is a simple way, but I am no computer expert. Thanks for your help!
      You will need to find the subdirectories containing the client data files and then copy those to your new computer.

The default location should be:
      C:\TaxACT\TaxAct 2013 Preparer's Edition\Client Data\John Doe's 2013 Tax Return.ta3

You can also find the relevant information when you click on the "Client Manager" screen for each relevant tax year.

( IIRC, the file extension indicates the year, such as .ta3 = 2013 , .ta2 = 2012 , etc. )

To simplify things, you might first want to create/save a "new" client file for each year, and then see exactly where that file got saved using Client Manager.

FE

Comment

I did the same thing last year, and my tax prep software company (not Tax Act) had very clear and easy-to-follow step-by-step instructions, right on its web site, for doing the migration. Yours may, also.
        Roland Slugg
        "I do what I can."

Comment

Lion

Lion..... That answer was a no brainer! I had already done that but they don't work on weekends. I wanted to get a head start this weekend. I knew someone on this forum would be glad to help (as usual).

Comment

Thank you!

Thanks a lot Feduke and Roland. I knew I could count on someone to help me. This forum is so great. I had contacted TaxAct first but they don't work on weekends. I wanted to get a head start on this project. Your responses were right on target. I went ahead and accomplished this project for several years. I only have 2 more to go which will be real quick now that I know what has to be done. Actually, it was pretty easy once I knew what I was doing. A little help to begin with saves a lot of headaches in the long run. I just needed the right direction to start with. Thanks so much. Working this weekend is worth it seeing this project will be complete. Thanks again and enjoy the rest of the weekend!!!

Ruth

Comment

Doesn't TaxAct have a knowledgebase type of database where you can look up answers to your questions, print them out, etc.? Or, live chat? Or, a users' bulletin board? Or, your salesperson? Or, other ways to get procedures from people who actually use TaxAct? Wouldn't you have gotten your answer in mere seconds that way instead of waiting hours here on the chance that someone might visit this board who is also familiar with TaxAct? Roland said the same thing!

Comment

Backup to a Flash Drive...

and then you can open client files after you have downloaded past years programs to the new computer. That's what I did when I went from XP to Windows 8 prior to this year's tax season. Or if you use the Enterprise edition, you can backup to the TaxAct cloud and access last year's files that way.
                Last edited by Justataxguy; 08-03-2014, 07:07 AM.

Comment

No!

[QUOTE=Lion;165643]Doesn't TaxAct have a knowledgebase type of database where you can look up answers to your questions, print them out, etc.? Or, live chat? Or, a users' bulletin board? Or, your salesperson? Or, other ways to get procedures from people who actually use TaxAct? Wouldn't you have gotten your answer in mere seconds that way instead of waiting hours here on the chance that someone might visit this board who is also familiar with TaxAct?

I actually don't know others that use TaxAct except from this forum! I did, in fact, check TaxAct and found nothing because in some cases they don't work on weekends (as I mentioned before!). I only I know some people do work with TaxAct that utilize this forum. After spending some time checking the avenues you mentioned, I did not find info in "mere seconds". That is why I wrote to this forum and got my answers in a small amount of time (no thanks to you!!!).

I wish some people on this forum would not treat people poorly and rude just because the questions don't suit what they expect, especially seeing those people normally don't know the whole background on why some questions are asked!

Comment

I'm sorry you took it that way. No one had provided you an answer, so in an unappreciated attempt to keep your question at the top and send you to the TaxAct experts, I answered. No. I cannot answer TaxAct questions, so I won't try anymore.

If it had been me and my software, I'd have gone to the CCH Support site and read (and probably printed) out the knowledgebase article on moving to a new computer. And, yes, it would've taken me mere seconds. I know, because I did it when I bought a new computer. It wasn't a weekend, but it was in the middle of the night when I needed that information. Yes, I can access the internet on weekends!

If it were me, I'd want to join a bulletin/message board specific to my tax software for those occasions where it's not a tax question but a software question. (I do belong, actually. It's a great source of software information.)

Comment

On further TaxACT review

Originally posted by ruthc View Post
                      Doesn't TaxAct have a knowledge base type of database where you can look up answers to your questions, print them out, etc.? Or, live chat? Or, a users' bulletin board? Or, your salesperson? Or, other ways to get procedures from people who actually use TaxAct? Wouldn't you have gotten your answer in mere seconds that way instead of waiting hours here on the chance that someone might visit this board who is also familiar with TaxAct?

I actually don't know others that use TaxAct except from this forum! I did, in fact, check TaxAct and found nothing because in some cases they don't work on weekends (as I mentioned before!). I only I know some people do work with TaxAct that utilize this forum. After spending some time checking the avenues you mentioned, I did not find info in "mere seconds". That is why I wrote to this forum and got my answers in a small amount of time (no thanks to you!!!).

I wish some people on this forum would not treat people poorly and rude just because the questions don't suit what they expect, especially seeing those people normally don't know the whole background on why some questions are asked!
                      Why did I bother to answer??

FE
                      Last edited by FEDUKE404; 08-03-2014, 10:19 PM. Reason: ALL COMMENTS REMOVED

Comment

That's what I said !! So why are you all telling me you can NOT read the TaxAct knowledgebase on weekends if you and I both just did exactly that on a Sunday evening?! Stop telling me that you can NOT find answers to your questions because your software costs less than mine. You CAN find answers straight from TaxAct on weekends, even in August.

I used to go online to the ATX knowledgebase way back when Block used it for entities, and ATX was very inexpensive then. So, I just thought Ruth might want to check the TaxAct knowledgebase online. Just because she chose not to do that, don't pick on me!

I prefer the written support of a knowledgebase or using help from within the program or...so I can read and reread and print out a procedure. With a telephone call, I have to take notes and hope I can read my writing later.

Comment

Why Answer?

To FE:
                          I am confused on your response of "Why did I bother to answer?" When someone starts a thread I do believe they should at least do some research first. I did do that before starting this thread. I went to TaxAct and went through the data base and did not see anything that I thought would help me at that time. I did not call anyone due to the weekend. Then I emailed TaxAct with my question knowing they would not respond until probably Monday which was fine. As with your experience, I have emailed them several times and got excellent responses each time.

Although I do belong to a couple other forums, I knew from experience that there are several members on this forum that use TaxAct and felt confident about getting a response during the weekend. So I did not use another forum to ask the question, nor did I check out any other place.

I am appreciative of your listing the link (and your response above to my question) to where on TaxAct I could find the info. Although I did go through TaxAct, for some reason I did not see that info. I am sure everyone misses things at times. I also make copies of any info pertaining to any questions I may have for future reference and I did in this case.

So, I don't understand your comment on why you bothered to answer. I am very appreciative that you did respond.

To Lion:
                          Please do not put words in my mouth!!! I never said I can't read the TaxAct knowledgebase on weekends. I said that "they" don't work on weekends. That meant "people", not reading the TaxAct info. Maybe I should have clarified that from the start.

Also, I never said I can't find answers to my questions because my software costs less than yours. I never mentioned your software versus mine at all.

I too prefer written info for backup and utilize it often. As a matter of fact, I even printed this thread with responses for backup along with the TaxAct info.

You made it sound like members are required to look elsewhere for answers before asking at this forum. Yes, I could have gone to another software forum and/or elsewhere. And, I also could have asked the same question at several forums at the same time. I didn't because, as I mentioned before, I felt confident that people here would help me. Although I do try to get the answers elsewhere first, I could have gone here before anywhere else and it should not be a problem. I have seen many threads where it is obvious people haven't done research first, but they shouldn't be judged in any case because nobody knows what they did before starting their thread. People even write to this forum about subjects other than taxes. It happened many times. And a lot of responses have nothing to do with taxes too. And that will continue.

Lastly, you had written that no one had provided me an answer, so in order to keep my question at the top, you answered, "Ask TaxAct." Really???? I have a problem with that statement seeing you responded (according to the time posting on my computer) only 33 minutes after my question was posted. You didn't give any reasonable time for any responses! The next response was from FEDUKE about 1 3/4 hrs after my posting which was great!

To FE and Lion:

I wasn't going to respond to your latest comments, but felt I had to. I don't want to have any ill feelings toward anyone on this forum. This forum has helped me every time I used it. I know everyone has their reasons why they respond the way they do. However, I try to utilize this forum in a proper way, and would like the respect that I think I deserve. AMEN!!

Comment

Clarification for ruthc

To ruthc: My comments were not directed at you.

I wrote a lengthy follow-up response, which gave you some more information that I personally had found (later) on the TaxACT web site. Rest assured I was more than willing to help you with my original response, and also later to provide a bit more helpful information (including links) via the second response which came about as a result of my spending a little "personal time" to further help you out.

The overall tone of the 6:52 pm response to my (now essentially deleted) post just hit me the wrong way at the wrong time on the wrong day.

It sounds as if you may have printed my response, before I took it down. If so, you likely know even more clearly where I'm coming from!

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to send me a private message and I will respond as needed.

Best.

FE

Comment

Dieseling

I'll tell my age with the allegory below...

Remember the old cars from the '70s when catalytic converters became mandatory? The engines would continue to snap, crackle, and pop even after the engines were shut down. This was called "dieseling" because the engines were literally running on air that wouldn't completely carbuerate to end the running. After several model years this phenomenon was finally successfully engineered away.

That's what's going on here. Three of you are dieseling long after the engine needed to be shut down. People read sentiment into messages which were not intended to contain any, and responses are including and increasing depth of explanations which no one could foresee and for which perceptions simply become more and more complex. Responses become deeper and deeper with each succeeding post such that the original subject matter gets lost in a chain reaction of sorts.

At the risk of someone dropping some further argument, the proper way to stop the dieseling at some point is to just shut the engine off.

Ironically, all the parties are good and knowledgeable members of the forum, and the danger is we may lose someone who feels unappreciated. This has happened before, more than once, and we have lost a few good folks over the years.

And I don't know who gives me the right to start preaching at other people, who might even take offense to my big mouth and prefer I just keep it shut. I simply don't want to lose good people or have them feel needlessly ruffled when there may not have been intent.

Comment

Working...
                              X