Ideas for working during retirement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My personal semi-retirement plan

Keep the ones you like, fire the ones you don't.

Make sure you can bill the ones you like enough to keep yourself fed, clothed and sheltered.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
      I don't think it is only if they are in a foreign country. I think they could teach in the US too. Linda, EA
      Really? I would think not in an accredited institution but in another setting? Very interesting.

Comment

as second language

Not in public schools but in programs that offer immigrants an opportunity to learn English. Not really sure...something to check into

Linda, EA

Comment

Teaching

I supplement my income by teaching online for a state community college. I teach Income Tax, Payroll Accounting, and QuickBooks. Although as an adjunct instructor I don't get benefits, the pay is decent for the hours worked and I can work in my bunny slippers (if I had any!)

Mo

Comment

Target has bunny slippers for $7.99!

Comment

Originally posted by Mo Sheets View Post
              I supplement my income by teaching online for a state community college. I teach Income Tax, Payroll Accounting, and QuickBooks. Although as an adjunct instructor I don't get benefits, the pay is decent for the hours worked and I can work in my bunny slippers (if I had any!)Mo
              Did you have to have a degree to do this, or would outside accreditation be acceptable?

Comment

Teaching

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                Did you have to have a degree to do this, or would outside accreditation be acceptable?
                It would probably depend on your state. For Ivy Tech in Indiana, they want you to have your Masters (MBA in my case) in order to teach Accounting related courses.

Hope that helps!

Mo

Comment

I've always wanted bunny slippers!

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                  Target has bunny slippers for $7.99!
                  Hmmm....I might have to make "bunny tracks" to Target for some shopping.

Thanks!

Mo

Comment

Try HRB

I know that many of you would consider this a step (or more!) down...but there are offices all over this country and they are always looking for experienced tax preparers. I had another career during my previous lifetime and started doing taxes with Block several years ago after I retired. Some things about the company can be frustrating but many of the tax professionals are very competent and and are enjoyable to work with. I'm sure there is a lot of variation from office to office, especially among the franchise owned ones but the ones in my area generally do a good job, I believe, and do a variety of returns--a lot of EITC returns, of course, but many for people with investments and small businesses. And when April 15th comes, you are done unless you choose to work after tax season. Somebody else will deal with your audits and extensions! As you are an EA, I'm sure they would love to hire you and the pay can be quite decent, especially if you stick around in the same area for a few years and build up a clientele.

Comment

Originally posted by Roberts View Post
                      Did it give you the knowledge required to do quality OICs?

While the average individual doesn't know what an EA is, professionals within the industry do. NTPI would be better than the ATSPS I'm guessing?
                      It did, actually it gave me confidence in rep work more than anything. Dealing with the IRS is a moving target and the NTPI helped me to know how to deal with the bureaucracy.
                      "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by origun View Post
                        I know that many of you would consider this a step (or more!) down...but there are offices all over this country and they are always looking for experienced tax preparers. I had another career during my previous lifetime and started doing taxes with Block several years ago after I retired. Some things about the company can be frustrating but many of the tax professionals are very competent and and are enjoyable to work with. I'm sure there is a lot of variation from office to office, especially among the franchise owned ones but the ones in my area generally do a good job, I believe, and do a variety of returns--a lot of EITC returns, of course, but many for people with investments and small businesses. And when April 15th comes, you are done unless you choose to work after tax season. Somebody else will deal with your audits and extensions! As you are an EA, I'm sure they would love to hire you and the pay can be quite decent, especially if you stick around in the same area for a few years and build up a clientele.
                        That's a good idea for the US; however, I got the impression he wished to travel a lot and move overseas. Does HRB have overseas offices?

Comment

HRB overseas offices

There are offices in many countries. See this site: http://www.hrblock.com/offices/inter...l-offices.html

Another advantage of working for HRB: they offer lots of continuing ed classes (the majority are online) and they are free for EAs, $20 a year for others.

Comment

Originally posted by taxmandan View Post
                            It did, actually it gave me confidence in rep work more than anything. Dealing with the IRS is a moving target and the NTPI helped me to know how to deal with the bureaucracy.
                            Sorry to go off on a tangent, but can you explain what Part 2 of the NTPI course is like? From what I've read, it sounds like Parts 1 and 3 are normal, sit and listen, classroom style courses. But Part 2 'sounds' different. Is it still just sit and listen to the teacher style, or is it more active and involved than that?

I appreciate any 'personal' information you could give me about the NTPI courses, or anything that would be different than 'normal' sit-and-listen CPE classroom courses.

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                            X