Ideas for working during retirement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas for working during retirement?

I'm looking at my retirement years down the line and the wife and I want to travel a lot = move a lot. I might want temporary or part time work in cities or foreign countries to cover some expenses. Since I'm self employed, I'd be looking at being hired for the first time in MANY years. This is all a way off so I've got tons of time.

Other than the EA which I already have, is there a certificate in this area that directly leads to employment? So many are nothing more than certificates you hang on the wall and lead to nothing further.

Is the NTPI Fellowship something that employers look at as a real accomplishment? How about ASTPS which might include their advanced seminar? I'm guessing the NTPI Fellow would be better but I have no knowledge that leads to that.

Maybe there is something completely different? I got the EA on a whim because a lawyer said it would be beneficial for me - wow was that true.

Become a QuickBooks advisor and learn some Spanish. You could pickup up some free lance work that way I would think.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
      Become a QuickBooks advisor and learn some Spanish. You could pickup up some free lance work that way I would think.
      So far I've had zero luck learning a foreign language. Spanish should be given another try.
      It just seems all these certificates are essentially worthless except my EA. I can't do the CPA as in my state you have to do auditing for 2 years full time to get the actual certification. I considered maybe doing a foreign tax certification and moving to London, Frankfurt or someplace else for 6 months of the year? Wife would be very open to that idea.

Comment

Have you considered just doing volunteer work (VITA, etc.)? I'm not sure whether you need the money or are just looking for ways to keep busy.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
          Have you considered just doing volunteer work (VITA, etc.)? I'm not sure whether you need the money or are just looking for ways to keep busy.
          Our goal is to do full retirement at 62. Saving for that reality.
          Going to part time work at 57 would also be possible if I made enough working part-time. Doing some tax resolution might be enough.

Comment

Taxation in a foreign country is a whole 'nother ball game. However, you could pitch your tax experience to ex-pats (those who actually file taxes in the US -- ha, ha) and you might be able to develop a following in that manner. You would not need to learn a foreign language in London or Frankfurt. But learning one is not so hard, if you are living in a country where it is actually spoken. Local TV programs are especially helpful in making you proficient. Especially soap operas. Really. I saw a bit on TV last night about a Chinese national who initiated her introduction to English via Sesame Street.
            Last edited by Burke; 07-30-2014, 03:58 PM.

Comment

You could look at doing some freelance work on sites like Odesk. I looked into this myself but backed away. Mainly because they do require you to use your real name/photo and you do not know exactly who you are dealing with. If it is some crazy fool that could track you down. I guess I am paranoid.

Comment

Originally posted by Roberts View Post
                Since I'm self employed.
                Just a thought, why stop?

There are self employed tax preparers that do EVERYTHING remotely. They use client portals to transfer information and use email, telephone, and Skype for communication. Storage of information can be in the client portal and in other 'cloud' based locations. All you would need is a laptop, a tax program, and an internet connection (and maybe a printer?).

You could 'keep' your current clients that are willing to do everything remotely, and sell the rest. Over the next several years, you can gradually add more and more remote and cloud based activities into your business, so your clients 'get used to' things now.

Comment

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post
                  Just a thought, why stop?
                  It's a possibility and honestly the likely end result. I was just looking for options beyond that if a certain certificate would make that possible.
                  Tax resolution work could be handled remotely I'm guessing.

Comment

Software Company

If you use Pro Series you could sign up with Intuit to be a cumstomer support rep for TurboTax.

Comment

You don't have to use PS to be a TT support rep

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
                      If you use Pro Series you could sign up with Intuit to be a cumstomer support rep for TurboTax.
                      You must have an EA, CPA or Tax Attorney designation though. And, you have to be physically in the US (IRS regulation).

Comment

Originally posted by JoshinNC View Post
                        You must have an EA, CPA or Tax Attorney designation though. And, you have to be physically in the US (IRS regulation).
                        And someone who did this job said Intuit requires that you have a land line telephone, can't use cell service.

As far as credentials, I am an NTPI fellow, and the knowledge has helped over the years with rep work, but as far as anyone knowing what it is, nope. Few people know what an EA is, and even fewer know NTPI.
                        "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

The land line is not necessary

Originally posted by taxmandan View Post
                          And someone who did this job said Intuit requires that you have a land line telephone, can't use cell service.

As far as credentials, I am an NTPI fellow, and the knowledge has helped over the years with rep work, but as far as anyone knowing what it is, nope. Few people know what an EA is, and even fewer know NTPI.
                          As calls are routed to you on a phone Intuit provides over their VPN. Previously, a land line phone was necessary

Comment

Originally posted by taxmandan View Post
                            Did it give you the knowledge required to do quality OICs?

While the average individual doesn't know what an EA is, professionals within the industry do. NTPI would be better than the ATSPS I'm guessing?

Comment

Teach english as a second language

Many Americans that go to foreign countries can teach English to the local people or children. I have a couple of friends in the Atlanta area who took a week long TESOL course. They get a certificate that would allow them to teach English to non-English speaking people. I don't think it is only if they are in a foreign country. I think they could teach in the US too.
                              The website for the course they took was cie.ca. There are online courses but I know that this one is legit and you get enough training to really be able to do a good job.

Now that is really "out of your box". But if you are going to retire and want to really have a change of pace, this might just be something you would like.

Linda, EA

Comment

Working...
                              X