Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Late S-Corp election or form new entity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late S-Corp election or form new entity?

For many years, I’ve had a side tax practice, mainly just 1040s. I ran it through a single member LLC. In the past, I’ve had a Corp America job. Now, in 2014, I took an exit package and have obtained a favorable consulting assignment which I was going to run through my SMLLC. However, I going to get nailed on SE tax. My thought is that I’d make the S-Corp election, pay a reasonable wage, etc. However, unless I’m missing something, I know there are late S-Corp alternatives but in my case I don’t think it would work. Is it best to start a new entity, make a timely election and go from there? Thanks in advance for assisting me with my minimal entity formation knowledge.
    "The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax" - Albert Einstein

Is your consulting work related to your tax practice? Not withstanding any "all lawful activities" phrasing in your organizational papers, it may not be a good idea to mix two distinct businesses.

As for whether or not it will work at all, I'm sure you can find a variety of opinions on the extent to which a business that is ultimately one person providing services can treat some of the profit as not subject to SE tax.

Comment

Like Gary said, unless it is related to your current business you do need to open another one.

I also have a side business in website design. I use to include this with my tax/accounting biz because I provide "business services" and my thought the design could be included in that. As my tax business grew it just made no sense to keep it all together. So I created another LLC and I am glad I did.

Comment

SE Conclusion / One open question

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I have one conclusion and one question still.

The conclusion is to proceed with caution (or not at all) in electing S-Corp status for a SMLLC providing professional services. I like to sleep at night and know that the IRS won't come back and challenge me as an S-Corp providing a salary and the rest as a dividend. If I'm being overly cautious here, let me know.

The remaining question is that I don't see the big issue with combining multiple services into a single LLC - i.e. tax prep and financial reporting consulting. I'm all for simplicity rather than multiple entities. I have the services lines appropriate tracked and detailed in my QuickBooks. Let me know if I off track here.

As always, much thanks for the open and direct feedback.
        "The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax" - Albert Einstein

Comment

OK I think

Bbrown, I think with thumbs up on the S-corp with a "reasonable" salary (whatever that is). If it is reasonable to you, it probably will escape scrutiny unless it is ridiculously low.

Also, I will break with the crowd and agree that your activities are closely enough related that one entitity should suffice.

Comment

Working...
          X