Safe Harbor for Home Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safe Harbor for Home Office

I can't seem to find this. If you are using the new safe harbor for home office expense (instead of allocating household expenses) can you also ADD to that the expense for that office that are direct such as a door or paint?

The Simplified method does not allow for any actual expenses. The rate of $5 per square foot (cap of 300 square foot) covers all expenses. It is basically a standard deduction.

Comment

That makes sense, thanks!

Comment

There is also no recapture of depreciation and you can take all your itemized deduction.

Comment

If you make major repairs or refurbish your office, you can switch to actual direct expenses (the traditional method) if that gets you a bigger deduction!
          Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
            I can't seem to find this. If you are using the new safe harbor for home office expense (instead of allocating household expenses) can you also ADD to that the expense for that office that are direct such as a door or paint?
            Don't you use ATX? Worksheet is under "Home Office Worksheet." My experience this season has been about 50/50, to use or not to use simplified vs itemizing expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
              Don't you use ATX? Worksheet is under "Home Office Worksheet." My experience this season has been about 50/50, to use or not to use simplified vs itemizing expenses.
              Yes, I am familiar with that worksheet. Thanks! Have a good day!

Comment

Working...
              X