Old Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Information

Typical non-filer has been caught up with by IRS. I have been recommended to this guy as a magician, who can magically make these problems go away. Guy cannot work around town without vaious contractors taking all his pay. At the end of his rope.

The collection division says he has been assessed all the way back to 2004. Guy doesn't have any records (of course). Is there a way I can find out what information the IRS has? I'm sure they mailed their assessments to a former address, and even if he received them once, he no longer has them.

I'm told there was a way to get this info from the IRS, but they may have shut it down and blamed the sequestration.

And yes, the guy will have to pay me as I go.
    Last edited by Nashville; 04-24-2014, 01:24 PM.

You can get wage and income transcripts through eservices.

If the IRS has filed SFR's you will need to file returns to flip those.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Thanks but

What is a SFR?

What is eservices? How do I get them?

You're probably thinking I'm the wrong guy to try to help this guy. I don't disagree and I certainly didn't solicity him....

Comment

SFR is subsitute for return. Eservices is the online problem resolution program the IRA has. If you don't use it get a POA from him and fax it to the IRS (Ogden is 855-214-7522)or call the PPL and they will give you a direct FAX. Once they have that they can send you a set of trasncripts so you know what your are dealing with. I was listening to the news today talking about the IRS employees getting a bonus when they owed back taxes. They stated that it amounted to only about 1% of the IRS employees behind on their taxes as compared to 8% of the population as a whole.
        In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
        Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Substitute For Return.
          It's a return the IRS generates to try and scare the non-filer into getting up to date.
          Almost always wrong, especially with 1099-Misc, because IRS assumes the worst case.
          If he has w-2's it will be closer to being correct, but still there is usually some wiggle room.
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I was the miracle man for a non-filer once. Had been an independent contractor (seems they've over represented among non-filers for some reason) and actually had some expenses so we got the balance dues down and an installment plan setup for what was left. Probably helped that I was replacing one of those as seen on TV companies that had promised penny's on the dollar and failed to do much of anything for them. So the expectation of it going away completely wasn't really ever there just reducing the amount owed.

(Of course, after getting clean and paid up with the IRS they screwed themselves again over the next several years. Some people shouldn't be self-employed.)

Comment

Working...
            X