Prior Year Refunds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prior Year Refunds

What is the most efficient way to check on 2012 refunds? I have two or three clients who never remember getting them. One was a failed direct deposit, and supposedly a check issued. Another was amended returns and a check supposedly issued.

Have him check with the wife first..........................she probably sign his name and ran with the funds.

Joke?
    Last edited by BOB W; 04-22-2014, 03:47 PM.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

After checking with the spouse have him to call the IRS because they don't tell me if a refund is held up or paid. (I put this info on the invoice so the client has it when needed). You are not responsible for the return after filing unless you made an error on it. I would charge the client for my time if I have already given him/her the means to get the question answered without me having to spend my time doing what he/she is totally capable of doing.
      Last edited by taxea; 04-22-2014, 07:46 PM.
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

I realize it is the clients' responsibility. Just trying to act as a go-between. Calling the IRS is problematical, due to long waits and unanswered calls. Interestingly, I can go online in my state and determine status of prior year refunds. But not federal.

Comment

Transcript?

Have the client request a transcript of their account for the period in question. Have them bring it to you, and together you can interpret the activity of payments made into the account and refunds issued.

I had one client recently who thought they had recieved a refund from the State, and therefore declared it taxable in the following year, only to discover their refund had actually been issued by the IRS. The client, using a different preparer, had forgotten the amounts of her estimated payments, and then to compound the problem sent the IRS the check to pay her State tax bill. Of course the IRS cashed the check and then issued a refund.

I couldn't rely on the clients memory, obviously, so I had her get the transcripts from the IRS and the State.

You can't make this stuff up.

Comment

I know. In both of these cases, however, we are pretty sure the refunds were issued (by check). At least there are letters saying the check(s) will be issued. What the TP cannot determine is whether they ever received such check(s.) Can the IRS send a copy of the check which was cashed and has cleared their accounts?

Comment

Local IRS Office

We have a local IRS in our town. I send clients there when they are not sure if they received their refund. The IRS will have to put a trace on the check to see if it was cashed. It will take a couple of weeks after the trace is issued to find out the results.

Kerrie

Comment

If you get a poa for the prior years you can get a record of account which includes the return transcript.
                Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

I think any transcript will show the checks issued (refunds processed.) What I want to know is if the checks have been cashed. I have a local IRS office. Will have them give it a shot.

Comment

Working...
                  X