Faxing POA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faxing POA

I don't have a fax and would like to fax a Form 2848. If I do fax and not mail the form, does someone fax anything back to me? I would like to fax at a place like Staples, but don't want to if the IRS will be faxing anything back to me via Staples. Otherwise I will just mail the form.
    I heard there is a way to fax something via email. Is that true? O imagine it is through a third party? Thanks for any help!!

I never had IRS respond to a POA that I fax to them via a fax back. As a matter of fact there is never any ack that they received it. I did once get the POA mailed back to me when I did not complete an item on the form.
    Last edited by BOB W; 04-18-2014, 11:42 AM.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Bob is right. They don't even let you know when it has been input into their computers. It used to be 72 hours, then they said 5 days, now it is more like 7 to 10 days or more.
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Good luck!

I faxed a POA form in on April 7th. Just called the IRS today to discuss client's situation. I was told the POA was not in the system yet and I could fax it to the IRS agent while I was on the phone. I explained that my phone line and fax line are one and the same. She told me to call back on my cell phone and then fax in...we live in a very rural area and I don't get cell service in my home office.

To make matters even more laughable, when I called the client back to explain what happened, he said they received a letter in the mail indicating that a POA had been filed. So now...why couldn't the IRS agent see that in their system?

I give up with the IRS. Again, the IRS agent was very nice but she said they are equally frustrated by the rules. I offered to scan and e-mail the POA but she said they are not able to get or send e-mails from their area. Real nice!

Good luck to you. If you do fax the POA, you will only get the confirmation from the fax machine showing it went through. You will not receive anything back from the IRS unless it was filled out incorrectly, as a previous poster mentioned.

Comment

The IRS can really screw up something when it really works well.

E-Services and the ability to enter a POA directly and get immediate access was wonderful for those preparers that qualified to use this service.

Then they opened it up to everyone and their brother and that really screwed up the system.

So, instead of going back to just those covered under Circular 230, they just stopped it for everyone.

I have FAXed POA's recently and they have been entered within a few days. I usually wait a week and then try to access the account.
          Jiggers, EA

Comment

Third party fax machines..

However:

1. Many third party fax machines (Staples, Office Max, Office Depot, FedEx Office/Kinkos and so on) use a digital hard drive and keep a copy on their hard drive more or less indefinetly. Meaning someone can find your POA on the hard drive (or may be able to) with the client info and all.

2. E-fax services abound. It appeaers that even IRS is using something like that. One needs a scanner or some way to get the signed document onto your computer and then e-mail to your "e-fax provider." I use one all the time; saves cost of a land line and a fax machine althoug there are times a phone line and a fax machine are better.
            Friends double; family triple. Don't buy an audit for yourself. If someone has to go to jail make sure it is the client. Remember it is only taxes, nothing important.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks a lot to everyone. I did decide to mail the form seeing I was in no real hurry to get the matter taken care of. I will call the IRS next week to find out if they received it. But I do think I will be using efax or some other provider. I already have a scanner and can just email it to the provider. Thanks again to all!

Comment

difference in using efax programs

One thing you should know about using a efax program is that when you send the email, it will take from 3 to 5 minutes for the recipent (IRS) to receive the fax. When you use a fax machine in your office, it goes as soon as you send it.
                I use myfax.com It works fine. In the past there were a couple of occasions that it took a long time for a fax to go through. But most of the time it will take about 3 to 5 minutes. You will get an email confirmation that it has gone through successfully. I just try to keep a friendly conversation going about weather or something while I am waiting to get the confirmation. When I get it, I just tell the agent you should have it now and they go to look for it. Only once or twice have I had an agent who didn't want to wait for it to come through. I don't tell them I am using an internet fax service. Some fax machines are just very slow.
                I have my fax/scanner/copier/printer connected to my only phone line. So if I want to fax that way I can. If I do, I will have to use my cell phone to call the IRS which at times is not successful because my cell phone might drop a call and then I have to start all over again.
                Hope this helps.

Linda, EA

Comment

Fax

If it is a response to a notice - call get the right number and it works great, after you call.

Comment

Working...
                  X