Ira deduction??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ira deduction??

Taxpayer in a plan for 4 months of the year. AGI 190,000. Spouse not in a plan, but does work.
    Can they both put in 6,000.?

They can both contribute $5,500 ($6,500 if age 50 or older) to a traditional IRA.

Assuming modified AGI is $190k they can deduct $0.

MFJ taxpayer covered by a retirement plan for any part of the year is phased out $95k-$115k.
    Spouse that is not covered by a retirement plan but with spouse that is is phased out $178k-$188k.

Comment

what pub can I find that

Could you tell me what pub I can find that in? Thank you for your prompt response before.

Comment

Pub 590. Pages 14-15.

Comment

Retirement plan

one dya of ocverage in a year by a retirement plan causes the income linits to kick in Neitehr can do a deductible IRA with AGI of $190k. Can't do Roth either. Can only do non deductible.

Comment

You can make a nondeductible IRA contribution and then convert it to a Roth. No income limit for Roth conversions. A backdoor Roth. Oh, but be careful if you also have deductible Roths and are not converting all your traditional IRAs. You'll need to prorate.

Comment

Deductible ROTH's?

Comment

Hey, consider the date! If you have deductible IRAs in your mix, then you have more things to consider before converting to Roths.

Comment

Working...
                X