Extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extensions

Why can an extension be filed with no signature if it is mailed, but not if it's efiled?

No problem with efiled Forms 4868

Originally posted by Burke View Post
    Why can an extension be filed with no signature if it is mailed, but not if it's efiled?
    I've already successfully filed several Forms 4868 electronically, with no signatures involved, to include return notices that the IRS has accepted same.

I do have a couple of Forms 4868 with a balance due amount that I will prepare, and IIRC to properly file those a Form 8878 is required as online debits will be used.

(As noted previously, I'm not allowed to say the c***k word anymore.)

Since I will not personally encounter any efile balance due Forms 4868 with mail-a-c***k scenarios, I don't know how that would work. My uneducated guess is sending a payment due Form 4868 electronically and then (later) sending a second one in the mail along with a c***k might lead to some unnecessary confusion. Plan B would be not to efile those in the first place, and just do all federal extensions involving c***ks via snail mail??

FE

Comment

I'll check on that when I get a chance.
      It's on my checklist.
      Will check in when I get an answer.
      Gotta keep my impulses in check when posting.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Speaking of checklists

Was Liszt a Czech?
        Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

More seriously...

What if you've e-filed the extension, and then the client decides they owe money? I hate to file a 1099-ES at the last minute -- there's too much chance of it being applied to the wrong year. I think I'll take my chances with a 2nd (paper) 4868.
          Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

The second (paper) 4868 will work okay.

Originally posted by appelman View Post
            What if you've e-filed the extension, and then the client decides they owe money? I hate to file a 1099-ES at the last minute -- there's too much chance of it being applied to the wrong year. I think I'll take my chances with a 2nd (paper) 4868.
            I did the same last year (2nd paper after EF) and everything went alright - no problems arising.

Originally posted by FEDUKE404
            ...(As noted previously, I'm not allowed to say the c***k word anymore.)
            Aw, take it easy. The fit I threw wasn't that bad. Besides, I'm not saying yesteryear's paper technology isn't dying, only that it doesn't stink just yet. Please feel free to use the word "check" (or appel's "czech" if you prefer) and I will hereinafter refrain from coarse remarks about tech freaks (not that there's anything wrong with them ).

P.S. Do you happen to know where I can get some VCR tapes? For some odd reason, Wal-Mart's quit handling them.

Comment

inquiring minds

Originally posted by Burke View Post
              This is a good question. I notice the "Electronic Filing Information (4868)" in ATX does have a blank for "date signed". Does the other software?

And, you COULD e-file a tax return successfully without a signed 8879 and nobody ever know, that wouldn't mean you should, so somebody research this particular question for Burke and me, cause I'm really wondering now. You know, check on it for us.

I'll check back later to see what y'all thought. Hopefully, I will be collecting checks for these returns laying over here.
              Last edited by RitaB; 04-15-2014, 09:01 AM.
              If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Well, then, what the heck is Form 8878 for? It says to use "if TP is not available to enter his own PIN."
                Last edited by Burke; 04-15-2014, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404;163708
                  Since I will not personally encounter any efile balance due Forms 4868 with mail-a-c***k scenarios, I don't know how that would work. My uneducated guess is sending a payment due Form 4868 electronically and then (later) sending a [i
                  second[/i] one in the mail along with a c***k might lead to some unnecessary confusion. Plan B would be not to efile those in the first place, and just do all federal extensions involving c***ks via snail mail??
                  FE
                  Instructions say to send the check along with the 4868 "as a voucher." So I guess that works for efiled 4868's as well as mailed ones. I have just been under the impression all this time that Form 8878 was required on an extension. Oh, well.

Comment

Working...
                  X