Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IRS taking money out of a bank account without authorization?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS taking money out of a bank account without authorization?

Hi, I have a family member that has a spouse with a drug problem. All the money has "disappeared" once again from his bank account and he swears the IRS took it. That family member asked me if that was possible, I told them the IRS can't do that without an authorization. They can keep refunds, they can attach garnishment on wages, etc. But, to my knowledge they can't go into a bank account and take money. Does anyone out there know of a situation where that's possible? I was thinking seizure?????

Did the IRS put a lien on the bank account? Levy from it? What does their IRS transcript say, if anything, about direct debits from that bank account?

Comment

None of that exists to my knowledge. They would have to send a letter or several before they could do a seizure, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
        Hi, I have a family member that has a spouse with a drug problem. All the money has "disappeared" once again from his bank account and he swears the IRS took it.
        Consider the source.....

Comment

Assuming they knew where to send the letter at least. If you're dealing with a non-filer or someone who moves around a bit the IRS may not have a current address. Or they could be one of those people that just ignore all the mail they receive from the IRS because they don't want to deal with it.

Comment

Exactly what I was thinking.
            If he is trying to prove to someone what happened to the money, he could always get a copy of his bank statement and show it to them. Since it's empty, it isn't as though he is revealing highly confidential info. And if there's an entry on there showing the IRS levy, he documented that he is being truthful. Levies are usually very easy to identify.
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
              Hi, I have a family member that has a spouse with a drug problem. All the money has "disappeared" once again from his bank account and he swears the IRS took it. That family member asked me if that was possible, I told them the IRS can't do that without an authorization. They can keep refunds, they can attach garnishment on wages, etc. But, to my knowledge they can't go into a bank account and take money. Does anyone out there know of a situation where that's possible? I was thinking seizure?????
              If you care enough, have the family member in your office and call PHL. After the introductions, you can both hear directly from the feds if there was a levy that took any money.
              "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                Exactly what I was thinking.
                If he is trying to prove to someone what happened to the money, he could always get a copy of his bank statement and show it to them. Since it's empty, it isn't as though he is revealing highly confidential info. And if there's an entry on there showing the IRS levy, he documented that he is being truthful. Levies are usually very easy to identify.
                Absolutely. That would be my first move. No sense berating the IRS and wasting your time if it never happened. Addicts are amazingly creative.

Comment

both the IRS and the bank notify the account holder.
                  Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

A very simple solution.....

IF there was money in the account and it was removed (by anyone) the BANK would be a great place to start. They know!!

I remember it well... The teller told me - Matt don't put that paycheck in that account. The IRS has a lien on and will take 1/2 of whatever goes in (I recently had my fiance added to my account - Oh. 1991 ish) - So because 2 names on account and she didn't owe the IRS anything they can only take 1/2. It wasn't my fault!! So, yes, the bank would know. The IRS CAN - They DID & they may again!! The IRS claimed they had been sending notices to my address (old address that was....) as well as certified mail that was accepted. Now, here's the deal-e-Oh!

1986 I filed long form. All good - nothing sneaky. Around 1989 they said the started to contact me about this return. I didn't live far from that old address. In fact, my parents were living there at the time. Had a notice from the IRS arrived (cert or not) you can be Dang Skippy I would have known about it - even pre-Cell phone days. That address is where my Dad lived - he's how I started this crazy biz - He's a retired CPA and auditor for the Treasury Department. No IRS letter had the never to hit his doorstep and survive. He never chased me down and when asked they said they never saw any notices. ANYWAY - I didn't put the check in the account that day. Instead, grabbed the folders and headed off to the local IRS office to square up. Story for another day!
                    Matthew Jones
                    Tax Preparation
                    Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
                    Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

Dang Skippy? I love it!

Comment

Working...
                      X