Attach form SSA-1099?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attach form SSA-1099?

For paper-filed returns does a copy of form SSA-1099 have to be attached to F-1040 if there was federal income tax withheld? The instructions to F-1040 don't really say, but seem to imply from the absence of any mention of that form that it does not need to be attached. Does anyone know for sure? Do you attach ... or not? Since the SSA sends only one copy of form SSA-1099, if a copy is attached to F-1040, it would have to be a photocopy.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

A copy of the SSA-10999 is NOT required, but I always attach one anyhow.
    But then I also highlight the Federal withholding in yellow highlighter (also not required but it makes me feel better)

============== From Publication 505 (see the last sentence) =============
    The 1099 Series
    Most forms in the 1099 series are not filed with your return. In general, these forms should be furnished to you by January 31, 2014. Unless instructed to file any of these forms with your return, keep them for your records.

There are several different forms in this series, including:

Form 1099-B, Proceeds From Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions;
    Form 1099-C, Cancellation of Debt;
    Form 1099-DIV, Dividends and Distributions;
    Form 1099-G, Certain Government Payments;
    Form 1099-INT, Interest Income;
    Form 1099-K, Payment Card and Third-Party Network Transactions;
    Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income;
    Form 1099-OID, Original Issue Discount;
    Form 1099-PATR, Taxable Distributions Received From Cooperatives;
    Form 1099-Q, Payments From Qualified Education Programs (Under Sections 529 and 530);
    Form 1099-R, Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc.;
    Form SSA-1099, Social Security Benefit Statement; and
    Form RRB-1099, Payments by the Railroad Retirement Board.

If you received the types of income reported on some forms in the 1099 series, you may not be able to use Form 1040A or Form 1040EZ. See the instructions to these forms for details.

Reporting your withholding. Report on your tax return all federal income tax withholding shown on your Form 1099, Form SSA-1099, and/or Form RRB-1099. Include the amount withheld in the total on line 62 of Form 1040, line 36 of Form 1040A, or line 7 of Form 1040EZ.

Form 1099-R. Attach Form 1099-R to your paper return if federal income tax withholding is shown in box 4. Do not attach any other Form 1099.
    ===========================
    Last edited by JohnH; 03-19-2014, 05:41 PM.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Well, we do learn something new everyday. I always photocopied them and yellow-highlighted them and attached them when I filed paper returns.

Comment

If I ever stop paper filing, I will stop attaching & highlighting at that time.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

More live and learn

Never gave it a moment's thought.

I've filed many returns (both in ancient days and more recently with efiling), and I have *NEVER* attached a Form SSA-1099 to any filed tax return.

That would include the numerous clients who now have federal taxes voluntarily withheld from their Soc Sec benefits.

And as for the yellow highlighter - I bet the folks at the IRS absolutely love you for that. That normally photocopies as a long black streak. . .

FE

Comment

Not yellow.
            Copies can't pick up yellow highlighter, except at very high intensity.
            That's why I use it.
            Try it and you'll see what I mean.

I only attach the ones which show withholding.
            I'm usually all in favor of not giving IRS anything not required, but with this one document I make an exception.
            Last edited by JohnH; 03-19-2014, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Old School Precept

At one time it was almost axiomatic (or so I thought) that if any document showed withholding, it was to be attached. A sort of "backup" to validate withholding.

I still perform relics of ancient times, and if a SSA-1099 has federal withholding, it gets saved just like a W-2.

Comment

Working...
              X