Installment Form 9465 Coupons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installment Form 9465 Coupons?

I never ran into this before, but when a client sends a 9465 with their return (requesting to pay the tax in installments), does IRS send them coupons for the installment payments. Should they have heard something by now? Thanks you for any input here.

about two months

Judging from, ahem, personal experience, it takes about two months for IRS to set it up. Go ahead and make the payment now, because they send the monthly invoice just a few days before the due date. You can then start using the previous month's coupon to mail each payment early enough to arrive on time.

Comment

Have to do it.

Originally posted by jainen
      Judging from, ahem, personal experience, it takes about two months for IRS to set it up. Go ahead and make the payment now, because they send the monthly invoice just a few days before the due date. You can then start using the previous month's coupon to mail each payment early enough to arrive on time.
      Agree with the Golden State guru, that is. It does generally take a couple of months. And yes, they'll send them a coupon every month, but it's not uncommon for it to get lost and IRS usually warns the taxpayer that he/she is responsible for getting the money to them even if the coupon doesn't arrive on time or at all. Tell the client to write down the address and to send off the payment if they don't get the coupon in time to make sure it's in IRS hands by the due date. You can get the plan reinstated (over the phone) if they're late, but they charge a fee for doing it.

Actually, they usually will get a bill demanding payment even when they send the 9465 in with the return. Curious about that, I once asked a knowledgeable agent about it and she told me that the law requires them to send a notice of payment due to the taxpayer even though they may have it on record at the time that the taxpayer has an installment agreement in place. Naturally, the taxpayer thinks that the payment plan's been lost or you don't know what you're talking about. Hard to convince them that IRS would do such a nonsensical thing as demand payment while simultaneously having agreed to an installment plan.
      Last edited by Black Bart; 05-15-2006, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Thank You

Thank you Jainen and Black Bart. I kind of figured it was not real smooth and simple.

Comment

smooth and simple

>>smooth and simple<<

As long as you have a relaxed attitude about government inefficiency, IRS collections usually run smooth and simple. Most problems occur if the TAXPAYER is late, can't maintain the payments, doesn't use the right envelope or address, doesn't completely identify the payment, and so on.

Comment

Dear Malibu maven,

Originally posted by jainen
            >>smooth and simple<<

government inefficiency
            Heard the one about the mafioso who, upset about receiving an unfavorable audit, had his goons throw the revenue agent through the window of a high-rise office building? They got away because, when their elevator arrived at the lobby five minutes later, the bureaucrat was STILL FALLING.

Comment

Jim Rockford

Much as I love Jim Rockford, Santa Cruz is a very long way from Malibu.

Comment

Mercy vs Competetence

Yes I agree Jainen. With some of my dozzy clients, the IRS has shown more Mercy over the years, than incompetance. Anothewords, they could have been alot tougher on the client if they wanted to.

Comment

address

Is the address different than the one that on time payments are sent to?

I, too, have a client waiting for a response and we want to give him instructions where to mail his first payment.

Thanks for any assistance.

Comment

I don't think so.

Originally posted by abby
                    Is the address different than the one that on time payments are sent to?

I, too, have a client waiting for a response and we want to give him instructions where to mail his first payment.

Thanks for any assistance.
                    I'm looking at a copy of a client's monthly statement and it doesn't say anything about sending late money to a different address. My address is IRS at P. O. Box 105416, Atlanta, GA 30348-5416. We're in Arkansas and I don't know if yours is different in...Oregon, wasn't it?

Actually, I've found that no matter what IRS address you send anything to, you still get credit for it being filed timely (because it's in government hands, I assume). You can send refund returns to the "payment enclosed" address or vice-versa and nothing is ever returned for correction. Probably that kind of thing happens so frequently that it's much cheaper to route everything correctly rather than sending it back

Comment

Thanks Bart

We'll give him the San Francisco (or is it Fresno? have to look it up) address for our area. Appreciate your thoughts.

Comment

it's not Pakistan

>>We'll give him the San Francisco (or is it Fresno? have to look it up) address for our area. Appreciate your thoughts.<<

My thoughts? I am in that same area--Santa Cruz, to be exact. My installment payments go to Dallas, TX.

I have various San Francisco addresses for different kinds of other payments, and some Fresno ones for paper returns. (Sacramento is a whole different story.)

I used to efile in Ogden but now I'm not sure because it was Austin for a while (except of course the one that had to go to Andover). Whenever I call the IRS I usually seem to get Philadelphia. Sometimes I get Atlanta which I don't like because they talk funny there, but at least it's not Pakistan.

Comment

Working...
                        X