Attach PDF to form 1040 - form1098

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attach PDF to form 1040 - form1098

Has anyone attached a form1098 PDF to a form 1040?

Scenario: A statement each year is included with the 1040 stating that a personal residence is jointly owned however only one of the TIN# is shown on Form 1098 but shows both names. Yet the one owner who's TIN# not on form 1098 gets a letter from IRS questioning their deduction for R/E and mortgage interest. Each year the response to the IRS letter states the jointly owned issue and includes Form 1098 that shows both names.

Do you think if a PDF of the Form 1098 that shows both names attached to both Form 1040s may help even though machine read?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by TAXNJ; 03-17-2014, 09:00 AM.
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

IRS will not accept one name on Form 1098 ?

The general guideline is never to attach anything extraneous unless the IRS requests it. (You may wish to enter some info in open text area for efile submission??)

What I do find interesting is that I've filed a truckload of MFJ returns, with Form 1098 information entered. Many of those Forms 1098 show name/SSN of only one spouse (people do marry, unmarry, remarry), many/most of those Forms 1098 show same for both. (My software does have a box where I check H/W/J and I try to make that match what is on the tax document. I doubt if that makes any significant difference overall?)

But, to the best of my knowledge, I have never had a client receive a letter from the IRS of the type you mentioned. Is there perhaps more going on here ? ? ?

FE

Comment

Should this be reported on line 11 instead of line 10?

IRS Sch A instructions for line 10/11.

If you and at least one other person (other than your spouse if filing jointly) were liable for and paid interest on the mortgage, and the home mortgage interest paid was reported on the other person's Form 1098, attach a statement to your paper return listing the name and address of that person. To the right of line 11, enter “See attached.”

Comment

either

either there or another method of attaching a statement regarding the mortgage on line 11" instead of line 10?"

As you know this will only address the mortgage interest.

As mentioned, a statement is attached separately to the return for both mortgage interest and Real Estate taxes for their owner portion that is why I am thinking of attaching the Form 1098 pdf to the e-file return (see other reply above to this comment). I don't see it as a problem and do not know what the other reply above means by "generally" for pdf(s)
        Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Most software has a place to enter the name & address of the person listed on the 1098. It goes on line 11 of Sch A instead of line 10.

Comment

MFS Return?

This sounds like a MFS return. We file a ton of those every year and answer a ton of those letters every year. We have not found a solution yet. Tried the line 11 approach and worked on some but not on others.
            I doubt if attaching that will stop the automatic matching letters from the IRS. No one will see it.
            It has been suggested several times that both SS# be required on the 1098 to stop this nonsense.
            AJ, EA

Comment

Working...
            X