Minister's Housing Allowance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minister's Housing Allowance

Most information on this allowance indicates utilities, including "local telephone service." Do cell phones count where there is no land line in the home? Also, the question has arisen about "cleaning supplies" purchased by the homeowner. Does this include paper towels, brooms, mops, Swiffer cloths, laundry detergents, etc, etc.?

This is what IRS tax topic on says ... may not answer your question

A minister who receives a housing allowance may exclude the allowance from gross income to the extent it is used to pay expenses in providing a home. Generally, those expenses include rent, mortgage interest, utilities, repairs, and other expenses directly relating to providing a home. The amount excluded cannot be more than the reasonable compensation for the minister's services.

Comment

I was thinking that was stretching it, but I pulled out my very old notes from a Clergy Tax Seminar presented by William F. Geisler that listed most of a page of Housing Expenditures that includes
      Cleaning Supplies
      Postage for House-related Bill Payments!
      Lightbulbs
      Plants -- Inside and Outside
      Cleaning of Curtains
      Housesitting during Vacation
      and on and on.

I'm not sure I could make a case for the cell phone, though, as that moves around with the clergy instead of enhancing the house.

Comment

Anything that maintains the home and its contents such as cleaning supplies for the home, brooms, light bulbs, dry cleaning of drapes, shampooing carpte, expenes to run lawn mower, tools for landscaping, garden hose to water the lawn and so on would qualify for the housing allowance. I agree that the cell phone could be more questionable. The item that would tend to qualify it would be that he does not have a land line and even when you have a land line, you are able to deduct it either as a house expense or a professional expense. I would probably take it.

Comment

Thanks for your valued opinions. I, too, had one of those old books written by a Minister and it specifically said cleaning supplies. I drew the line at toilet paper.

Comment

Good idea, since toilet paper is not a house cleaning supply:>)

Comment

Originally posted by MAMalody View Post
              Good idea, since toilet paper is not a house cleaning supply:>)
              It leaves too much lint when I clean the mirror.

Comment

So it's best to wipe this deduction off the list.
                "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I knew that was going to perk some interesting witticisms. She had been told "paper products" were part of it.

Comment

Working...
                  X