Client Bringing Food to Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client Bringing Food to Office

Had a client and his wife and two children all come to the tax office to do their taxes. They just came from McDonald's and brought a few bags of food and drinks and smelled up the whole office. Were on the cell phone also. Wonder why they didn't eat at McDonalds? Have any similiar problems like this?

A nice elderly lady client brought me a loaf of homemade bread the other day when she came in.

Comment

The day after we had replaced the carpet throughout the entire office a client came in with a Big Gulp and dropped it on the floor. I understand.
      In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
      Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Originally posted by zeros View Post
        Had a client and his wife and two children all come to the tax office to do their taxes. They just came from McDonald's and brought a few bags of food and drinks and smelled up the whole office. Were on the cell phone also. Wonder why they didn't eat at McDonalds? Have any similiar problems like this?
        Last year, we had a bad situation. One of our preparers is diabetic. She had been working with this client since the morning. She told the client that she need to take a lunch break because she is diabetic and needed to eat. The client said "No, she didn't have time for that. She needed to get the return finished". She then sent one of her teenage kids out for fast food and ate her lunch at the desk in front of our preparer. When my boss found out, he was really angry. He told the preparer not to do that. To come to him and he would handle it. By the time the preparer get to eat, she was sick and shaking.
        You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Originally posted by zeros View Post
          Years ago I had a client would bring two 16 oz cans of Coors beer every year and would have them downed before we finished. He has since died in a single car accident hitting a telephone pole.

Comment

Years back a client spilled hot coffee on my desk, ruined the paperwork on the table, rug has coffee stains and I threw away the keyboard and mouse!

Since then I have a no food or drink policy at my desk. I do have a reception area with a couch and a coffee table and they can eat or drink there. On weekends some of my clients bring their small children because they don't want to pay for baby sitter and there is a McDonalds 100yrd from my office! I am throwing out a lot of McDonalds trash each weekend.

I would rather have the kids eat at the reception area and make a mess there instead of in my office.

One old lady suggested that I should have a pot of coffee or at least a vending machine!
            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

McDonalds

I had a similar situation with a client. He, his wife and 2 kids came in to the appointment with McDonalds. They laid out their food all over my desk and ate right in front of me. By the way, they were 15 minutes late to the appointment, how courteous right?

Now when clients eat McDonalds in my office I start eating the paper on my desk. When they tell me, "Why are you eating that?!? That's not real food!!" I kindly tell them the same thing!

But seriously, here's an interesting about McDonalds; it will give you some pause if you are thinking of chowing down on a Big Mac.
              Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Comment

Separate area for drinks

I have a credenza with 6' matching shelves sitting on top the credenza. If my client brings in a drink, I have them sit it on the credenza but usually here in AZ anyone who brings in a drink, its usually bottled water and they usually put the cap back on after drinking from it.

Comment

One client came in with a bottle of beer. She also brought one for me.

Comment

This is one reason that I don't do returns while the client waits. Actually, most of the returns that I do take more than 2 hours. I have one that takes about 12, if I worked straight through.

I have only one or two clients that still bring in their kids during the interview. I have a gadget that I bought a few years back that is like a round red button. Copied Staples I think. But this one says "NO" in various formats. Kids start doing something and the button gets pressed. By me if the parents won't tell them no. They get the message. The kids too!
                    Jiggers, EA

Comment

I don't care if they eat or drink while there, provided it isn't kimchi or anything with garlic in it. For the few with whom I actually have a sit-down, pretty much anything goes.

But if I had a gadget, I'd want a cash register display which runs up the bill by the minute. Then when they start talking about politics, their family problems, or the tax advice they got from their hairstylist, I'd swivel that thing around so they could see how much the chitchat is costing them.
                      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                        But if I had a gadget, I'd want a cash register display which runs up the bill by the minute. Then when they start talking about politics, their family problems, or the tax advice they got from their hairstylist, I'd swivel that thing around so they could see how much the chitchat is costing them.

That sounds awesome. Like a taxi cab meter.

Comment

Back in the 80's and 90's I used to go to people's homes. I should write a book. It was like I was a member of the family after a while. They'd leave a key under the mat for me if they were not home yet. They would go take a shower while I worked at the kitchen table and we would yell through the door. I got fed all sorts of stuff. Usually pretty good stuff. Some people gave me tips. Sometimes the H&W would get into fights. Ah, sweet memories.

Comment

The incredible diversity of experiences y'all have had in this regard is really amazing. I know that many people are ridiculously selfish and that I've just been extremely fortunate to not have clients who expected to bring pizzas or roast pigs into the office for meetings, but... wow. Some of this stuff is crazy.

I mean, a Big Gulp getting dropped, that's going to happen; it's an accident. Telling a diabetic it's not acceptable for her to go and get food, then eating in front of her? I'd have grabbed the manager in a second, and if he didn't deal with it, I'd have walked out a minute later. That's some craziness.
                            --
                            James C. Samans ("Jamie")

Comment

In many asian and middle eastern culture it is considered rude not to offer tea or coffee to a client who visits your store or office. I had a client who worked for the US State dept. and he told me that Americans are generally considered rude and boorish in many asian and middle eastern countries.
                              Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
                              X