Client Bringing Food to Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's good information.
    I'll keep it in mind if I ever begin preparing tax returns in any Asian or Middle Eastern countries.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

many years ago when I worked for Block, a client who's occupation was cook for local school, would bring in cupcakes, bread , fudge for employees to share. we all looked forward to him making his appointment.

Comment

Years ago I went to the client's home and; fought off with my foot a pesky dog who insisted on sniffing me under the kitchen table as I worked, had a woman play a little footsie, knocked off the paper covering a male nude calendar of an elderly gentleman. Interesting times---

Comment

I have had clients bring in food and it usually does not bother me. I have one client whose return usually takes 3 to 4 hours and he has more than once brought pizza or burgers for both of us. Any time you deal with the public you get all kinds. The cell phone usage while I am trying to get information bothers me more than them eating.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
            That's good information.
            I'll keep it in mind if I ever begin preparing tax returns in any Asian or Middle Eastern countries.
            Imagine if you had a client who grew up above a brothel......

Some things I just don't offer with tax preparation.

Comment

I had a client bring in her pet Duck during the interview. "Daffy" sat there on her lap looking at me the whole time. When she left, she pooped on the floor (the Duck, that is). But not to worry, my client had her little spray bottle of cleaner and a paper towel to clean it up.

Another guy in our office had a client bring in her two small children, one in diapers. You guessed it...half way through the interview, Mom proceeds to clear the papers off the desk and plop the kid down for a diaper change.
              Last edited by Bees Knees; 02-10-2014, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Until this last year, there was a man who sold tamales who would come by the office every couple of weeks, and I always bought some because they were very yummy and I was usually hungry when he showed up. Oftentimes I had clients in the office who would buy some, too, and also oftentimes I would share the ones I bought with my client if it was around lunchtime. Unfortunately, my "tamale man" is not in the tamale business anymore.

And, yeah, I've had clients who've shown up with fast food that they just picked up and ate it while I prepared their taxes, or they came in with happy meals for the kids to eat while they wait. All that is fine with me, except they leave me this big bunch of garbage, oftentimes with drinks that are still half full, and I don't have a dumpster OR a sink in my office. And to make it a bit more difficult, I'm in a wheelchair, so it's not the easiest thing in the world for me to haul off everybody's garbage. No garbage fairy.

Comment

Cell phone and food

Originally posted by zeros View Post
                  Had a client and his wife and two children all come to the tax office to do their taxes. They just came from McDonald's and brought a few bags of food and drinks and smelled up the whole office. Were on the cell phone also. Wonder why they didn't eat at McDonalds? Have any similiar problems like this?
                  My practice is to stop working on a taxpayer's return when they get on their cell phones and wait for them to finish their call. If they get snitty, I remind them that it is, afterall, their return which needs to be accurately prepared.

As for food and beverage, I often am an enabler of beverage as I keep a Gatorade(r) or two and/or glass of water to stay hydrated. Anything I eat, however, is when I run to the back room and out of sight of the taxpayer/client. Due to food allergies I often ask taxpayer/clients to eat their food items out of the office (peanuts, shell fish,

For many of our clients, arranging baby-sitters and such can be difficult and besides, going to the tax office may constitute a date night or time out of the house with the family. I grit my teeth and bear it. It does seem to encourage quicker return preparation. Some offices have play areas set up: I don't want to encourage that.

As for odors, I never know how bad office staff 'smell' after a 12 hour day.
                  Friends double; family triple. Don't buy an audit for yourself. If someone has to go to jail make sure it is the client. Remember it is only taxes, nothing important.

Comment

I'm just the opposite with cell phones. If their phone rings and they glance at it or me, I encourage them to take the call. No sense in their being distracted wondering about the call, and while they're talking I often check email. Or I keep working on the return and make any notes I need to ask them questions when they finish.

I know it offends some people, but I just don't see a cell phone interruption as a big deal. Besides, if I were stuck on something, needed an answer, and had to interrupt their conversation, I wouldn't hesitate to do that. After all, I accommodated the interruption to begin with, so the caller and client should afford me the same courtesy.
                    Last edited by JohnH; 04-17-2014, 08:38 PM.
                    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

But...in all fairness;

Originally posted by ATSMAN

In many asian and middle eastern culture it is considered rude not to offer tea or coffee to a client who visits your store or office. I had a client who worked for the US State dept. and he told me that Americans are generally considered rude and boorish in many asian and middle eastern countries

one of our more admirable customs is that neither do we cut off our visitors' heads (which I believe is considered rude, if not boorish, worldwide) .

Comment

Working...
                      X