like kind exchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

like kind exchange

I have a client who buys houses, fixes them up and sells them for a profit. She keeps them a year. Can they reinvest without paying taxes. I have read about the like kind exchange involving a third party to handle the transaction. I just want some great info so that I sound confident. Is that too much to ask? Ha!
    Pookie

Sounds like

your client may be self employed in the housing market. Buying, fixing up and selling.
    If not, then these would go on Sched. D as long or short term capital gains & losses.
    However, there is no way that the gains can be deferred or non taxable.
    What your client is doing is nowhere close to being a tax free exchange.
    Last edited by Bird Legs; 05-04-2006, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Sec 1031

Good site for basic info on like kind info is 1031cpas.com

Comment

I wouldn't put these transactions on Sch. D

This person is in the business of flipping houses, and should report on C. No like kind exchange.

Comment

Yes it is a business for them. I did ALOT of research on this subject. I advised my customer to form a partnership with this person they are going in with. To keep everything separate from personal. I believe that if the property was kept for maybe 5 years then you could do it on a Schedule D and that it was held for investment. No rule but I think that is a reasonable period of time.

My brother does something similar to flipping. He keeps the houses for 6 years, rents them, and then sales. He said his accountant told him to keep them atleast 8 years. But I think you could go a little lower. Like I said 5 years.

Here is a good article on it:
          If you sold a stock, regardless of whether you made or lost money on it, you have to file Schedule D. This form can be a hassle, but it also can save you some tax dollars.

Another option is for them to live in the house 2 years and then sale it.

Comment

Flipping

Went through two audits in the last few years that were related to flipping. One was successful for the tax payer and one was not. To my knowledge the Service has not come out with any specific guidelines in this area. Still based on facts and circumstances and ability to persuade the examiner.

Comment

Working...
            X