amended return to change filing status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My client filed jointly with his wife for the 2012 tax year but MFS for 2010 an 2011. Now he wants to amend the 2010 and 2011 returns to change their status to MFJ. Would I just have to amend the husband's return to change the filing status and to include his wife's income and include the amount of refund or amount paid by the wife (I did not prepare the wife's return, so I don't know if she owed or got a refund) ?

Basic rule of tax preparation. If you are amending a year that is still open you NEED to see the original return that was filed before you can even begin to do any amendments.

Ask your client to provide all copies of returns when they filed MFS.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

amended return to change filing statue

I do realize that I must see the tax returns of both husband and wife and intended to do just that...I just didn't mention it in my question. My question boils down to: after I see all the tax returns, do I just amend the husband's tax return, adding the change in filing status and add the wife's income to the amended return?

Comment

separate to a joint return

See the instruction for 1040x bottom of page 5 and top of page 6

Comment

thanks Gene V...I should have thought of that myself

Comment

Amending-mfs to mfj

It may be wise to inquire as to any changes made by IRS or a State taxing authority to either return. When I get this issue with new to me clients I order transcripts first and then do the amendment(s). Be sure to amend state/local if needed. And be sure to charge enough.
            Friends double; family triple. Don't buy an audit for yourself. If someone has to go to jail make sure it is the client. Remember it is only taxes, nothing important.

Comment

Originally posted by mastertaxguy View Post
              It may be wise to inquire as to any changes made by IRS or a State taxing authority to either return. When I get this issue with new to me clients I order transcripts first and then do the amendment(s). Be sure to amend state/local if needed. And be sure to charge enough.
              "Thank you"

Comment

I would attach copies of the original tax returns for H & W and include any correspondence that may have effected the original returns.
                This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Working...
                X