SMLLC taxes as an S Corp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMLLC taxes as an S Corp.

If a Single Member LLC wants to be taxed as an S Corp, does it first have to file the 8832 to be recognized as a corporation, or does it just file the 2553 to elect S Status? Any thought are appreciated.

For my business I filed Form 2553. They sent me a letter confirming the election and a new EIN.

For clients, I have always just sent in the Form 2553 if going from Sole Prop to S-Corp.

Comment

Just for future reference

Originally posted by John of PA View Post
      If a Single Member LLC wants to be taxed as an S Corp, does it first have to file the 8832 to be recognized as a corporation, or does it just file the 2553 to elect S Status? Any thought are appreciated.
      The requirement to file form 8832 along with the form 2553 went away back in 2007. Your SMLLC can just file the 2553 to elect S Status.
      Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Comment

Thank you Davien, I was concerned becasue the SMLLC is not a corpration and the 2553 is for corporations, but it appears IRS is accepting them anyway.

Comment

You bet the IRS is accepting them

Thank you Davien, I was concerned becasue the SMLLC is not a corpration and the 2553 is for corporations, but it appears IRS is accepting them anyway.
          And here is the Reg if you have trouble sleeping one night: Reg. ยง 301.7701-3(c)(1)(v)(C)

Also, here is an article from Thompson Reuters explaining the Reg and other provisions related to LLC tax elections (if you are really having trouble sleeping): http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...56146854,d.aWc

Just open the link in a browser and hit enter. Or if that doesn't work, the article's name is "Avoiding Traps When Electing S Status for an LLC" by James Hamill.

Have a great weekend!
          Circular 230 Disclosure:

Comment

Thank you Davien for that excellent link, just what I was looking for. I will to some extent, sleep better now, thank you. Now if you have a link on how to deal with my teenage daughter, then I'll really sleep good. Thanks again.

Comment

If you figure it out, let me know

Thank you Davien for that excellent link, just what I was looking for. I will to some extent, sleep better now, thank you. Now if you have a link on how to deal with my teenage daughter, then I'll really sleep good. Thanks again.
              I have 2 daughters myself, I told my wife when they reach the teenage years (5 and 8 now) that I would get a partial lobotomy so I won't be aware of any drama they are causing!! But seriously, I've been told that cages are illegal; must have been a law created by someone without children!!
              Circular 230 Disclosure:

Comment

Working...
              X