Mail extension vs Efile extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mail extension vs Efile extension

The way I see it, the IRS has now prevented us from going away the day after April 15th (17th this year). We now have to wait 5 days to be sure any returns, or extensions that we Efiled the last day, are not rejected. I went away on April 18th. When I got back 5 days later I found that one of my extensions was rejected due to the spouse's last name. I only had until April 22nd to resolve it, so my re-submission with the correct name was then rejected becasue the error was not corrected within 5 days. So this client is now going to have late filing penalties (if they owe more, which they may). I MAY BE WRONG BUT.........I suspect that if I mailed in this extension, postmarked by the 15th (17th this year) I would not have had a problem because the IRS may not had performed thier name check (or even open the envelope) until a week or 2 later. Perhaps this is an example where mailing the extension is safer than Efileing.

Suspect you are correct

John,
    I only efile the for sure extensions, not the suspect ones. Again I think it was posted somewhere in the last few weeks, to start efiling the extensions early and not wait until close to the 4/15 or in case of this year 4/17.

While efile extension has made it easy for us in some respects, it seems to have placed a greater burden on us for potential penalties for either us or the taxpayer.

So for my practice, I only efiled the for sure refund only extensions, all others were either faxed to the client or emailed to the client. If the t/p was borderline on owing, I faxed or emailed as well.

I am not sure that it is the correct process either, but if I had some questionable amounts due on the 1040 in order to cover the extension, I also had the t/p pay the estimated tax due on 4/17 (this year), in otherwords incorporate into one payment, so then I knew for sure the tax return was covered and the balance of overpayment could be moved to the ES payment of 4/17. Thinking was that the underpay if any was a lot less on the ES than it was on the underpay of the tax due with the return.

Sandy

Comment

Telephone gone

I preferred the telephone filing of the extensions. I wish they still had that service. It was convenient and you got a confirmation # on the spot. Since I couldn't use that I tried efiling - I had trouble with the efile method and was too busy to get it perfected so just started mailing the extensions.

I don't efile returns on the last day or two of tax season, just in case they reject.
      JG

Comment

The verdict is in

The verdict is in, it sounds like, when you are sending in an extension just before April 15th (by circumstances beyond our control); it's better to mail in the extension (certified RR). Lesson learned.

Comment

Efile Extensions...

.... are like 941s, since I can't do the state at the same time I don't do them. Whatever I process has to be the same method for all gov't agencies.
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I don't need to file anything with my state. I e-filed only for existing clients, new clients got the coupon to mail.

I don't like the 5-day e-file waiting period, period. I try to file anything on the last day but that never works. I can only relax after the last return has been accepted.

Comment

Working...
            X