HRB my view.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

service with a smile

Generally I don't hold the waitress responsible for the restaurant's business. For example, if the restaurant gives me a 2-for-1 coupon, I still tip on the free meal. But if it's not edible, then she hasn't done her job of bringing me food and it's not my problem to figure out why she didn't do her job, even if she has nice service with a smile.

Comment

But.. as the waitress/server is not the cook s(he) does not know the food is not edible and therefore should not be "deprived" from the tip that MUST be paid or s(he) might spit in your food the next time! :-)

Comment

not a good example

Isn't that like saying you deserve to get paid for doing an erroneous tax return because you didn't know the 1099 was wrong? No wait--that's not a good example.

Comment

Tips

A tip is something they should earn for good service. They should work 'free' if they give lousy service. Also, 15% is only 'mandatory' if it is added to your bill.

I also believe the tip should relate to the amount of work involved rather than the size of the bill. If I eat in a cheap place, I leave a much larger percent tip to the waiter since he has to work just as much to deliver my bowl of chili as the guy at the Ritz does to deliver my pheasant under glass.

What should the mandatory tip be for preparing a tax return? I like the 100% suggestion.

Comment

Worst Waitress ever

The Worst Waitress to ever <ahem> serve me was at a restaurant I should of read the door better, back in the 1980's I went to Houston, tx and the door said 15% Tip Required (it was longer winded) the service was deplorable, I think a trained monkey could of done a better job, and been easier to talk too.

But I decieded years ago if I find service to be poor, I'll leave .02cents (STACKED)
            .01c they may think you dropped a penny, and they wern't where .03cents!

Usually I tip within my(measley) budget, but usually I don't go where I need to tip!
            SERVE YOURSELF BUFFET or fast food!

Comment

H&amp;RBlock

I've had dealings with block people from differnt sources!

I've worked on computers for one in another area (long drive) even drove down for me to work on it one weekend!
              He is very good with taxes, his wife(the computer requirements) also does taxes in a small town near where he works out of there house!) "if it wasn't for the stopsign noone would know it was a town"

I've correct returns down from local blockheads (Yes theyve even hire people who didn't even pass there own course one year I was told from a reliable source)

I had to tell one lady they messed her ups, she had done thru some new faxing it to there location and it was wrong, she came to me because they originally didn't do the state return!)

MANY people I've informed about keeping up with there milage for Schedule C
              one even travel extensivly and could claim large amound of milage! (did windows or siding forgot which, all over the state)

I have worked with past employees of theirs! the main reason for quitting is block (back in the 90's) kept a full crew tax season round.

basiclly your hourly pay is taken out of your commision, but they keep the full staff in March, needless to say not many clients as compared to early own, so you are paying yourself to sit and stare at other preparers

another problem was that the new hires where the ones that did the error checking there first year, if a veteran preparer couldn't find it, unless it was a typo or something they probly would not find it!!!!!

I've gone over a number of returns they (and other big names) have prepared (and yes some little names) and have found many errors, but I have also found many to be correct!

most of the errors I have found have been with more difficult returns!

many of them are stuff that sound like the staff was talk to throw out anything that could be hard to prove if audited and even some that would be simple!

Milage, many clients didn't even know they could take milage for the self employed business, many where working out of there homes, sub contracting construction type works, driving not only to a job site (some might question that one) but also going to get supplies including driving out of town to get them) !

Travel Going half way or better across the state to work for a week!

there are more examples but I can't remember them off the top of my head!

Comment

Originally posted by Chief
                You just punished the waitress for the shortcomings of the management. Waitresses and waiters do not even get the minimum wage. I can understand your frustration but not tipping the waitress was the wrong thing to do. You should write the corporate office of that chain. Even that may not change anything. That is exactly why chains go out of business. I saw the handwriting on the wall for Bill Knapps Restaurants and WT Grant years before they finally went out of business. I predict the same for Cracker Barrell Restaurants.
                Don't punish the little guy for the short comings of the place you shop.

They do in Oregon. 7.50 per hour.

Comment

Originally posted by veritas
                  They do in Oregon. 7.50 per hour.

Same in washington.

PS: UR Is it not spelled " mileage"?As in Mileage Log.

Comment

Originally posted by Linda F
                    My reason for working for HRB for 15 years was my children. When I started working there, my daughters were 7 and 12 years old. I didn't want to work full-time. I wanted to be home with them most of the time. I found that working for Block for 3 months gave me 9 months at home with my girls.

I admit the first few years the money didn't last a long time or I really had to be careful to make it stretch. Actually the year I started a preparer who had been there a long time moved to North Carolina and Block's policy was to give a new preparer the names of that preparer's clients. So I started off with a very good first year. But I worked hard and built up my clients that came back to me. The last few years I hardly ever took a new client because my schedule was full with returning clients. So I made very good money and only worked for 3 months a year.

I was able to do a lot of things with my younger daughter all through her teenage years, even homeschooled her during high school. The last year I worked for Block was the year she got married. I have no regrets working for Block that long......it served my purpose more than anything else could have.

Linda F

I wish there were more moms like you.

Comment

Working...
                    X