Effective tax rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Effective tax rate

I wanted to know the effective tax rate for a client today. My software does not provide this, only the marginal.

I took the tax and divided this by the taxable income to arrive at 14.7%. Did I do this correctly? If not, how do you arrive at this rate?

Thanks,
    Dennis

Myriad of options...

Do you take the original tax from Line 44, or include the AMT by using Line 46? Or what about using Line 57 (after the non-refundable credits), or "total tax" from Line 63 so you include SE Tax & IRA penalties? Or how about Line 63 - Lines 66a-68 to back out the refundable credits?

Then for income, go with Taxable Income (Line 43)? AGI (Line 37/38)? Or Total Income from Line 22? Or do you add in the portion of non-taxable Soc Security? How about tax-exempt interest? Worker's Compensation? And, what about all their unreported income? OK, I think I may have overdone it with that last one

As you probably guessed by now, my personal opinion is that an effective rate is pretty useless. I much prefer a marginal tax bracket calculation. But one that is a bit more sophisticated. Instead of just spouting their "marginal federal tax bracket", for some clients I will add $100 or $1000 on Line 21 (and perhaps also try with subtracting $100 or $1000) and see what happens to their Fed & State refunds. That to me is a lot more meaningful as when income goes up, phaseouts come more into play, the 7.5% & 2% floors on Sch A go up, more SS becomes taxable, etc.

Just my 2 1/2 cents...
    Bill

Comment

Working...
    X