Interesting reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting reading

Check this article out in the AARP June Bulletin, Interesting.

Visit "AARP The Magazine" and "AARP Bulletin" on the web, or download one of our exciting apps to keep up with the news you love.

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
    Check this article out in the AARP June Bulletin, Interesting.

http://pubs.aarp.org/aarpbulletin/20...?folio=30#pg30
    Can we first get a hint as to the subject of the article, please?

If you read a lot of discussion boards on the net, you quickly learn that posts that are little more than "check this out" are often links to spam or phishing sites. Other times, because the net makes it so easy to post such links, they're just pointers to stuff that's old news or barely relevant material. As a result, many people simply won't follow suck links. This forum, because of its narrow focus, doesn't have many problems like that, but it still makes sense to encourage the habit of not clicking through blindly, and conversely, not posting essentially bare links.

I like to think of it this way: If it's worth us taking the time to follow the link and read the article, then it's worth you (or anyone who posts links to other sites) taking the time to write just a sentence or two describing the content of the article.

Comment

Vast Universe - and Fido

It is a vast universe of information available to us versus 20-30 years ago, and every day more and more of it passes under our eyes. It was good to hear from Redneck after a long while, but it would have been more enticing to open his link if he had given us some idea of the content to justify us spending our time reading yet another one of millions of links that various people think is interesting.

Competition for the readers' time is frantic nowadays, and that's why most of us now have pop-up blockers on our computer. I come home to dozens of e-mails every day, some of them important, most of them not. And if you don't answer a friend, they get mad at you.

The classic message goes something like this:

George returns from a grueling day at work to his computer and 35 e-mail messages. One of them says, "Hey George, look what we put on You-Tube!! We've been teaching Fido some new tricks and thought you'd love to see the video we made of him! Pay close attention to what he does at the 12:04 minute mark and let us know what you think! We think the kids are cute too..."

Pleaaassee - don't send me any more links or e-mails unless there is a compelling or relevant reason to do so.
      Last edited by Nashville; 06-11-2013, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nashville View Post
        ...Pleaaassee - don't send me any more links or e-mails unless there is a compelling or relevant reason to do so.
        Define "is."

Comment

Good one

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
          Define "is."
          I see what you did there, BB.
          If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Wrong

I figured when I read this some people would be interested But I was wrong. You will not hear from me again. If I read something interesting I will keep it to my self. Redneck is over and out.

Comment

I figured when I read this some people would be interested But I was wrong. You will not hear from me again. If I read something interesting I will keep it to my self. Redneck is over and out.
              No, you're not wrong, at least not about that. Many people may well be interested.

What you're wrong about is in thinking you don't need to tell us anything about why it might be interesting. Seriously, it would have taken no more effort to just write a sentence or two about the article than it did for you to post your reply. It's not too much for us to ask.

Please tell us a bit more about the article. And in the future, when you find something interesting that you think it worth sharing, then please share it, but not as a "hit and run post"; share it with a description, or an opinion, or something to help us decide whether to follow the link.

Comment

Thongs and Speedos

You will not hear from me again. Redneck is over and out.
                No one wants this - as a matter of fact I had wondered where you had been so long. You've been on the board since the beginning.

We've had some good people leave because they got their feelings hurt, and they haven't been back. I've been beat up several times myself and considered much of it in good-natured fun, and some of it because I've just been wrong.

If you want people to read something put a title on it like "Thongs and Speedos".

Comment

Working...
                X