Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Residential Rental Property - Can 2012 loss be carried back two years??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Residential Rental Property - Can 2012 loss be carried back two years??

Client whom I have not seen in 2 years contacts me and needs their return(s) done right away.
    3 year.. 2010, 2011, 2012. When she moved in 2009 she kept the old house due to market conditions.

She has been renting for 3 years. she cannot keep payments up on both and she has a bad tenant who is always late.
    She couldn't take the land lord business and sold in 2012. There's about $12k in depreciation. It was a loss of $64k.

Question: Can she carry the loss back any number of years? Two years?

Your help is always appreciated.....

Oh..Why is it when you follow up with them they can take their sweet. But when they finally come they need it in 2 days. Go figure!!
    Matthew Jones
    Tax Preparation
    Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
    Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Not unless it generates an NOL. Otherwise any passive losses that could be c/f during the years she was renting it would all be freed up in the year of sale.

Comment

A loss of $64K in the year of sale probably did produce an NOL, reading between the lines of OP. But that info was not given explicitly.

Comment

NOL Retnal Property

My apologies if I left items out. First rental property I've work with that was sold...

The owner participated in the rental process.
        Collected the rent, made or contracted repairs, etc.

C/F?? I presume Carry Forward - Actually - Trying to carry back. If Possible.

The user had a $5k tax debt in 2010.
        If I can carry back this would help her 2010 position.

What other questions / answers are needed to determine if c/b is allowed.
        I am looking in Tax Book and feel like an idiot!!

Thank you in advance.
        Matthew Jones
        Tax Preparation
        Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
        Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

Is the $64k loss based on original purchase cost whenever they first bought the house or the FMV in 2009 when it was converted to rental?

Comment

As Joan says

If and only if there is an NOL will there be a two-year carry back. Basis for the sale should be the LESSER of original basis or FMV at time of conversion to rental.
            Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Originally posted by MAJ View Post
              My apologies if I left items out. First rental property I've work with that was sold...
              The owner participated in the rental process. Collected the rent, made or contracted repairs, etc.

C/F?? I presume Carry Forward - Actually - Trying to carry back. If Possible.
              The user had a $5k tax debt in 2010. If I can carry back this would help her 2010 position.
              What other questions / answers are needed to determine if c/b is allowed.
              I am looking in Tax Book and feel like an idiot!!
              Thank you in advance.
              Basically, the answer is yes IF you have a 2012 NOL produced by the sale of rental property. (Negative income on the 1040.) See Pub. 536 and various discussions -- Tax Almanac has a good one.

Comment

If your calculations are correct and there us a 64000 loss, that in and of itself cannot be carried back or forward. If the loss, when calculated with all other income on the return, creates a Net Operating Loss, that can be carried back or forward depending on the election the t/p makes.

So, you need to determine if there is a NOL. That is the answer to your question.
                You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

***post deleted***
                  Last edited by Brad Imsdahl; 06-09-2013, 08:50 AM. Reason: wrong information - see TMI disclaimer at bottom of page
                  Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                  X