Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G-Man

More specifically--an IRS employee.

Ever' once in a while when I get to worryin' about bein' put out to pasture by some of that "sales pitchin'/new technology/go-go gadgets" or whatever that "Unregistered" is pushin', I comfort myself thinkin' I could always (probably-maybe) go to work at the Memphis IRS Service Center. I mean, where else could an incompetent bumbler feel right at home? What could you possibly have to know to work there? The answer's crystally clear and obvious. NOTHING! No way you could be worse that the dumbest person you''ve ever talked to there. And shoot--besides that--I'm from Arkansas. Nobody needs to tell me anything about how to get by on minimum wages.

I had a buddy work there for several years and he said it was just pitifuI. I bet I'd fit right in--I may just go check up on that 'cause I always wanted to be a G-Man (I do need that stinkin' badge)! Jainen: what do you think?

I was down at the post office Friday and the clerk asked me if I needed any tax forms. And, of course, all our forms are computer-generated now, so I told him thanks, but no thanks. He said they needed to get rid of them because they'd just received a shipment of three thousand forms and books that week. Said he could hardly get a bare minimum back in late January, early February when the do-it-yourselfers were screamin' for 'em. Now, of course, that nobody cares a fig for them, he's swimmin' in 'em.

Is government efficient, or what?

Bart, you are

correct in your assessment of the Memphis Office. Had a penalty removed from a
    clients bill. When talking with the Memphis office about this and when they were going
    to generate a notice that penalty had been reversed, the rep. stated "If this had been
    me reveiwing this request for abatement, I never would have done it."
    Am fighting with the Memphis Office right now over a refund due on the 2001 tax return
    due to a NOL carryback. The Memphis office refuses to issued the refund check
    because the statute has run on the 2001 return. I keep telling them that the statute does
    not apply on a NOL carryback. And in checking it out they say "well, you are correct"
    but still no refund check. Have been working on this one for 6 months.

Comment

Bart, just saw job posting for IRS

They need agents/officers really bad all over the country. Pay range is $79000-$106000 per year. It would be nice to know that I could get up in the morning, do 1/2 days worth of incompetent work and know that there would be a direct deposit twice a month. But, I just wouldn't be able to work from that side, at least not as long as I have a roof over my head and clothes on my back.

Comment

Skate-man

This motley collection of musings won't help, but...it's on the subject.

Comment

Hire us!

I always said that if they hired us, EA's, CPA's, and other qualified return preparers, after about 10 - 15 years experience, and pay us an annual wage of $200,000 or more, that the government could wipe out a chunk of the national debt and have better compliance from all taxpayers!
          Jiggers, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Bird Legs
            correct in your assessment of the Memphis Office. Had a penalty removed from a
            clients bill. When talking with the Memphis office about this and when they were going
            to generate a notice that penalty had been reversed, the rep. stated "If this had been
            me reveiwing this request for abatement, I never would have done it."
            Am fighting with the Memphis Office right now over a refund due on the 2001 tax return
            due to a NOL carryback. The Memphis office refuses to issued the refund check
            because the statute has run on the 2001 return. I keep telling them that the statute does
            not apply on a NOL carryback. And in checking it out they say "well, you are correct"
            but still no refund check. Have been working on this one for 6 months.

Here is a good example when you are turned down on your first request for a penalty abatement, you just send in another letter until you get the answer you want.

Comment

Great idea, Jig

Originally posted by Jiggers
              I always said that if they hired us, EA's, CPA's, and other qualified return preparers, after about 10 - 15 years experience, and pay us an annual wage of $200,000 or more, that the government could wipe out a chunk of the national debt and have better compliance from all taxpayers!
              We could use the $200K and they could use a surplus. Besides, after we got 'em back in the black, we could hire a few of the boys here to invest it and make a killin'. We got lotsa choices:

(1) The conventional method--get good investment advice from a professional broker -- everything on the up-and-up: Hire sea-tax and Veritas. I agree with them; why shouldn't we charge fees for our work? After all, doesn't everybody else here (even Joe) do that?

(2) Do-it-yourself method: Only problem -- I'm not 100% sure that I'm not one of Jesse Ventura's "weak-minded, crutch-needing" types 'cause I keep losin' money in the market. My case is kinda reversed from Joe's -- I was up $40K on $5K of AOL & e-Trade during the internet boom in '99 and '00, but held out for top dollar and went on to finally cash out at $3,500, proving once again the truth of an old broker's proverb: Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.

(3) Buy Vanguard: That's a tip -- how "hot," we dunno. I bought two hot tips issues this month. Last week's review: "Stock X-1 did not dip, slump, slide, go down, or even plunge -- rather, it was cut to ribbons." Stock X-2 -- review unnecessary -- CEO and CFO sold 80 million shares indicating their confidence in the company and the stock's direction.

(4) Ask Joe: $3K to $30K ain't hay. Wonder if he knows any more "prison-guard" types?
              Last edited by Black Bart; 11-16-2006, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart
                We could use the $200K and they could use a surplus. Besides, after we got 'em back in the black, we could hire a few of the boys here to invest it and make a killin'. We got lotsa choices:

(1) The conventional method--get good investment advice from a professional broker -- everything on the up-and-up: Hire sea-tax and Veritas. I agree with them; why shouldn't we charge fees for our work? After all, doesn't everybody else here (even Joe) do that?

(2) Do-it-yourself method: Only problem -- I'm not 100% sure that I'm not one of Jesse Ventura's "weak-minded, crutch-needing" types 'cause I keep losin' money in the market. My case is kinda reversed from Joe's -- I was up $40K on $5K of AOL & e-Trade during the internet boom in '99 and '00, but held out for top dollar and went on to finally cash out at $3,500, proving once again the truth of an old broker's proverb: Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.

(3) Buy Vanguard: That's a tip -- how "hot," we dunno. I bought two hot tips issues this month. Last week's review: "Stock X-1 did not dip, slump, slide, go down, or even plunge -- rather, it was cut to ribbons." Stock X-2 -- review unnecessary -- CEO and CFO sold 80 million shares indicating their confidence in the company and the stock's direction.

(4) Ask Joe: $3K to $30K ain't hay. Wonder if he knows any more "prison-guard" types?

BB check out these and I will tell you this advice is free of charge.
                Caibx,AEPGX and GFAFX these are the ticker symbols for 3 funds that all have loads but have beaten there respective indexes for many years.

Comment

Working...
                X