Weird call today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird call today

I get this call from my ad I run in one of the two church bulletins. The guy started off sort of arrogant asking me questons like if I am a CPA, if I ever prepared tax return for a sole proprietor, how long I been a tax preparer etc. I told him I was an enrolled Agent and I have been a sole proprietor for years and I prepare quite a few sole proprietor tax returns including my own. Then he started a discussion that he does not want his tax return looked at by the IRS like the IRS is going after conservatives. I replied by asking if he kept track of his exps etc. and if he had quite a few miles. He didn't answer my first question and said he had quite a few miles. I asked if he logged his miles and he said no. Then he said something to the effect that "Obama was my boss" and I replied he is not my boss and he replied "your in taxes" and I replied "I work for the taxpayer". I got his email address and I am suppose to send him my tax organizer but I am 2nd thinking this guy about no supporting documents on his mileage and his reply which gave me the impression "I dont and I dont care, come get me IRS".

Your thoughts?

Why would you want a client like that? Your time is more precious than to waste it like that. Ten seconds would be all the time I would spend talking to him.

Comment

My stock response for these types is "My job is to assist clients in the preparation of a return that results in an optimum result that complies with the tax code, if it is not your intention to comply with the tax laws you don't need my help".
      In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
      Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

I think the client is onto something about the IRS going after conservatives.
        If your return is selected for audit, everybody turns into a conservative.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

first 3 questions are legitimate

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
          I get this call from my ad I run in one of the two church bulletins. The guy started off sort of arrogant asking me questons like if I am a CPA, if I ever prepared tax return for a sole proprietor, how long I been a tax preparer etc. I told him I was an enrolled Agent and I have been a sole proprietor for years and I prepare quite a few sole proprietor tax returns including my own. Then he started a discussion that he does not want his tax return looked at by the IRS like the IRS is going after conservatives. I replied by asking if he kept track of his exps etc. and if he had quite a few miles. He didn't answer my first question and said he had quite a few miles. I asked if he logged his miles and he said no. Then he said something to the effect that "Obama was my boss" and I replied he is not my boss and he replied "your in taxes" and I replied "I work for the taxpayer". I got his email address and I am suppose to send him my tax organizer but I am 2nd thinking this guy about no supporting documents on his mileage and his reply which gave me the impression "I dont and I dont care, come get me IRS".

Your thoughts?
          His statement "does not want his tax return looked at by the IRS like the IRS is going after conservatives" seems quite reasonable.

How many visists did the Shulman make to the White House? That is besides the Easter Egg thingy.

Comment

Jim's right..

Originally posted by jimmcg
            Why would you want a client like that?...
            He's already displayed an attitude hostile toward you with that wisecrack "Obama is your boss" (probably heard it on TV and thinks it's reeaalllyy cool) and he doesn't even know you.

Think what he'd be like after he has your work in hand to go over with a fine-tooth comb. Best to "just say no" upfront to this no-log nut now -- it won't get any better later.

Originally posted by AZ-Tax
            ...but I am 2nd thinking this guy about no supporting documents on his mileage and his reply which gave me the impression "I dont and I dont care, come get me IRS".
            I had one such 20 years ago -- he said "I'm taking every nickel and the way I feel about it is that IRS can bring it on. Unfortunately I didn't take it/him seriously enough; an IRS audit cost him ten thousand plus dollars and me many days of work and agonizing remorse.
            Last edited by Black Bart; 05-23-2013, 01:25 PM.

Comment

UPDATE my reply:

I have a due diligence obligation with all my tax clients both individual and businesses as to if the client will be able to support in document form, their deductions, income etc.. Unless I heard you incorrectly, I understood you to say you had business related miles and when I asked if you logged your miles, you replied no. If this is correct, I have to decline taking you on as a client. If not and you did track the dates, the locations you traveled to and from plus the mileage for each trip (in writing), I will reconsider but only if you also tracked and categorized all your business related expenses and have receipts for all business related purchases.

Bees Knee referrred to this in the "blame game" thread, the IRS lost quite a bit of clout with everyone which in turn could make our job harder. I fear more taxpayers will take the atitude of "I will deduct what I want and I dont need to show any poof".

Comment

Working...
              X