Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax software for review

Happy Summer every one.

I am in the process of selecting software to review for next season.

I am formerly with TRX but used TAXACT this year because of all of the TRX problems. I have nixed Refunds Today after reading how you are renewed without your permission. I am looking at Accufile. Has anyone used this program? Some background:

1) I only do 1040s w/schedule Cs, Es, etc. so I don't require a program that includes the Corporation modules. So, no need for a high value or high priced program, i.e., Drake, Proseries, Taxslayer or others.

2) TAXACT was good but still lacking. I truly was spoiled by TRXs Pro 1040.

I don't need anyone telling me how to spend my money and having an attitude with me because of the route I have chosen to take. In fact, please keep all snide remarks to yourself. I am asking for help, not a handout. I have been through that before with this board. I want a program that offers 1040, up to 5 states, and unlimited e-filing for less than $500. I am sure there may be 1 or 2 programs in the universe that fit this criteria and tend to be good in the process. If I have to, I will use TAXACT again.

If you think you can make helpful suggestions, please respond.

I'm appreciative.

Peachie

How many returns? If not too many, one of the pay per return packages might work. Drake has a PPR starting at around $300 I think?

Comment

Oltpro

You could look at On-line Tax Pro. They offer both a Web-based program and a desktop version. Might fit your needs. Go to www.oltpro.com to check out a possible fit for your needs.

Comment

Thank you David.

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
        How many returns? If not too many, one of the pay per return packages might work. Drake has a PPR starting at around $300 I think?
        I do less than 100 returns per year. I am home based and very particular about clients. I only accept new clients by referral. I will take a look at the Drake PPR program to see if it applies to my situation.

Peachie

Comment

Good morning.

Originally posted by rtsietsema View Post
          You could look at On-line Tax Pro. They offer both a Web-based program and a desktop version. Might fit your needs. Go to www.oltpro.com to check out a possible fit for your needs.
          Thanks for your response to my dilemma. I have never heard of OLT Pro, but I will certainly check it out. Have you used this program before?

Peachie

Comment

Drake is a great package and a great value and worth looking at.

Comment

OLTpro

Originally posted by Peachie View Post
              I don't need anyone telling me how to spend my money and having an attitude with me because of the route I have chosen to take. In fact, please keep all snide remarks to yourself. Peachie
              Well put Peachie, I wish this would apply to all the posting on this message board.

Speaking of OLTpro, I just received a card in the mail from them today. $399 unlimited returns and they support S-Corp, C-Corp, Partnerships, Estate etc. I ordered the sample CD. The lady told me they don't charge extra for e-file and/or print Business tax returns like Pros Series does. If there is any OLTpro users on this board, what is your renewal fee?

Comment

This is great AZ.

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
                Well put Peachie, I wish this would apply to all the posting on this message board.

Speaking of OLTpro, I just received a card in the mail from them today. $399 unlimited returns and they support S-Corp, C-Corp, Partnerships, Estate etc. I ordered the sample CD. The lady told me they don't charge extra for e-file and/or print Business tax returns like Pros Series does. If there is any OLTpro users on this board, what is your renewal fee?
                Thank you so much. I am calling OLT now. As you noticed, Rod also gave me a heads up on this software. Hopefully, the CD is still available for review.

Have a wonderful day.

Peachie

Comment

I also just want to throw in here that a safe route to go would be to review software surveys, such as the AICPA annual software survey, which is a good acid test of a package.

Comment

I'm new to Drake this year (switched from ATX in late January), and have been impressed with its speed and simplicity. Learning curve isn't very steep for someone open-minded enough to not expect it to duplicate whatever they were using before. Customer service is fantastic - not to be beaten by any company out there.

I've heard that Drake will allow pay-per-return customers to switch to "unlimited" without any cost penalty if your volume exceeds expectations. I think most companies would take advantage of that situation and tack on costs, but not Drake. They are a well-run, dependable, and honorable company to do business with.
                    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I use OLTPRO desktop and while it's pretty darn good IMO, it does have a few weird issues that you'll need to keep aware of. If you go with them, private message me and I'll write them out for you.

OLTPRO at $399 is the web version and it only does the 1040's. The corporates are in the desktop version only as I understand it.

Peachie, you say you used TRX - if you used them years ago when they resold Intellitax - IMO OLTPRO desktop is very similar to Intellitax. You probably weren't using TRX back then though.

Comment

True John,

Originally posted by John of PA View Post
                        I also just want to throw in here that a safe route to go would be to review software surveys, such as the AICPA annual software survey, which is a good acid test of a package.
                        however, most of the software packages include modules I don't need. These modules come at a premium price in the software. I would say the top 5 programs include everything, not just 1040 software which meets my needs. I need to definitely control my expenses and it begins with the software.

Thanks for the response. Can always expect good advice from you.

Peachie

Comment

Did you know

Originally posted by Peachie View Post
                          Thank you so much. I am calling OLT now. As you noticed, Rod also gave me a heads up on this software. Hopefully, the CD is still available for review.

Have a wonderful day.

Peachie
                          they'll send you a download link for the software? I have already received mine. They are also sending the disk.

Peachie

Comment

Renewal fees Oltpro

If I recall, the renewal discount is $100 off the full price when purchased by a certain date.

Comment

On this post - I have a question? What is the positive or the negative to a Web Based Tax Software??

Are we as tax preparers (Circ 230 rules) at risk for using - as there is sensitive client information that would be entered?

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                              X