PMT Payment Didn't Deduct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PMT Payment Didn't Deduct?

Had two clients call today and said that the payment due on April 5th did not deduct from their bank. Anybody else have that experience? Glitch in system? I'm getting a little nervous.

Sounds like a software problem. Re check your data entry to make sure you specified April 5, rather than the default 4/15 date. Then contact your software company for verification.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Several possibilities

Assuming you entered the correct RTN/DAN numbers (directly from a check, and NOT from a deposit slip!), there are a couple of possibilities:

1) When was the return filed/accepted? If there was not enough "time", the debit date might have automatically moved forward.

2) Some banks will process a debit differently, and you have little control over that. A debit of April 5th might be rattling around and will not show up until the end of the next banking day, or even later.

3) Some clients have told their banks not to allow third-party debits. That will definitely create some problems.

IRS/NC debits from my bank have always occurred on the actual date selected, but I've had clients (I don't really call them all...too busy!) who told me it was frequent for the "authorized" debit not to show up for a couple of days later. AND you were working with a weekend situation.

I also know that VA debits are notoriously slow. They specifically say your payment will be credited as of the date you specify, while in reality the actual debit is always 2-3 days after that date.

That's why I scheduled a LOT of client debits for April 8th. It never hurts to leave some wiggle room.

FE

Comment

Never Set Date at 4/15

You're are correct. I allow a few days before the 15th in case of error.

Comment

Working...
        X