final 1040 return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

final 1040 return

I am preparing the final form 1040 electing to report a substantial amount of savings bond interest on the decedent's final return. Instructions to do this are on page 21-6 of the Deluxe Edition. This instruction states "The election can be made for a decedent." I have searched and cannot find a form to make this election. Am I going to be correct if I just attach a statement to the final from stating that an election is being made to report the savings bond interest on the decedent's final return or am I missing an IRS form which I should be filing. Any help greatly appreciated.

Final Return

If my memory serves me you just fill out the return as normal. If you are using software there will be a place to put date of death, that will print the person name and date of death across the top. I think that will do it and you will have to file a 1310 and the rep sign the return. If the person is married the surviving spouse will sign alone but the software will print where the person who died should have signed.

Comment

Working...
    X