"DD" / W-2 / Box 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"DD" / W-2 / Box 12

Never saw this before this year. What exactly is the new thingamajig supposed to do for us?

It says "Cost of employer-sponsored health coverage," but...whose cost? Employer paid, employee paid, combined payments of both, a recap of what used to be listed on a paycheck stub, a result of impending Obamacare, or....what?

Black Bart -
    that there figure is just there to look purty and make ya go hmmm....healthcare sure is 'spensive.

It is there for information only. I think it is a combo of both employer and employee costs.

Comment

So I looked it up in the W2 preparation instructions from IRS, and you'd think it would be defined there.
      But NO........! Just says the "cost" and doesn't define whose cost.
      Maybe we can find it on the irs.gov page.
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

dkss is correct. You don't need to do a thing with it. I like to point it out to the client, however, so he is aware of how much his health insurance is costing. It is combined cost -- employer and employee (if he pays anything.)
        Last edited by Burke; 02-22-2013, 11:31 AM.

Comment

What exactly does this amt consist of?

What exactly does this amt consist of? Is it the combined amt the employee paid in premium with the amt the employer paid on behalf of the employee?

Comment

We will be looking for that when we become the health insurance cops in 2014. There will be a new due diligence form for us to complete with a healthy fine if we fail to. When the cost overruns inherent in the new law materialize then that is the amount upon which the extension of tax to health benefits provided by the employer will be based. At least that’s what I’m telling people, I could be wrong.
            In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
            Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Here is a previous discussion on DD

Primary Forum for posting questions regarding tax issues. Message Board participants can then respond to your questions. You can also respond to questions posted by others. Please use the Contact Us link above for customer support questions.

Comment

Seeing the future

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
                We will be looking for that when we become the health insurance cops in 2014. There will be a new due diligence form for us to complete with a healthy fine if we fail to. When the cost overruns inherent in the new law materialize then that is the amount upon which the extension of tax to health benefits provided by the employer will be based. At least that’s what I’m telling people, I could be wrong.
                I can hear it now:

"Are you SURE you know what you're doing?? My refund has never been that small!!"

FE

Comment

I have found that if I base my predictions on the worst possible outcome I'm seldom wrong. When I am, the client is happy with me about it.
                  In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
                  Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Originally posted by dkss
                    Black Bart - that there figure is just there to look purty and make ya go hmmm....healthcare sure is 'spensive...
                    Thanx dk, thass jus' whut I figgered -- and as the other fellers and felleresses said, the cost is rilly sump'n.

And thanx for the link, Gene. Apparently ever'body's got a theory, but I'm like Harlan (grin) -- I'm goin' straight to the guv'mint about it: I'm callin' 1-800-829-1040 (not much question but what that temp will gimme the inside dope).

Comment

This DD information is supposed to be the employer's portion of the health insurance paid. IRS is starting to get this complience going with the W-2 disclosure becasue under the new Health Care Law, Cadilac health plans (probably thats anything more than an HMO) are taxable to the employee (the excess plan cost over a basic HMO plan). So this is becoming a taxable benefit in the near future 1-1-14. Perhaps compliance will be extended or delayed, lets hope so.

Comment

I have used it this year just for my own knowledge of who has health care and who does not. I also point out to the customer what it means. So far out of 100 returns I've prepared, I have found 2 who do not have health care coverage. So I explained to them what will happen next year if they don't get some coverage. This gives them a heads up so it's not total shock if I prepare their taxes next year and have to tell them they are getting this big penalty on their tax return which reduces their refund. I'd rather my customers be prepared ahead of time.

Comment

I thought the penalty is for TY 2014... I know the exchanges are suppose to open in October 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
                            I thought the penalty is for TY 2014... I know the exchanges are suppose to open in October 2013.
                            Yep - begins with tax year 2014 filing in 2015. Smaller penalties for TY 2014 & 15 - look out in 2016. Of course by then everything will have changed for "something better"

Mike

Comment

Working...
                            X