Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farm Returns delayed due date and payment date till 04/15/13 instead of 03/01/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farm Returns delayed due date and payment date till 04/15/13 instead of 03/01/13

Has anyone seen an offical IRS announcement of the guidelines on this? TTB issued a release note on 01/22/13, but I have not seen anything since. I have several farm returns that are ready to go, but taxpayers want to take advantage of the delayed filing and payment date. Just want to be absolutely sure this will be OK.

Notice 2013-5

Federal Tax Day - Current,I.6,IRS Provides Penalty Relief to Farmers and Fishermen for Underpayment of Estimated Taxes Due to Delayed Start for Filing 2012 Returns (Notice 2013-5),(Jan. 30, 2013)

The IRS has announced a waiver of additions to tax under Code Sec. 6654(a) for underpayment of estimated taxes for certain farmers and fishermen due to the delayed start for filing 2012 tax returns. Farmers or fishermen who miss the March 1 deadline will not be subject to the penalty if they file and pay by April 15, 2013. A taxpayer qualifies as a farmer or fisherman for tax-year 2012 if at least two-thirds of the taxpayer’s total gross income was from farming or fishing in either 2011 or 2012.

Farmers and fishermen requesting this penalty waiver must attach Form 2210-F to their tax return. The form can be submitted electronically or on paper. The taxpayer’s name and identifying number should be entered at the top of the form, the waiver box (Part I, Box A) should be checked, and the rest of the form should be left blank.

The delayed start for filing tax returns stems from the recent enactment of the American Taxpayer Relief Act (ATRA), P.L. 112-240, which affected several tax forms that are often filed by farmers and fishermen, including Form 4562, Depreciation and Amortization (Including Information on Listed Property). Because these forms will require extensive programming and testing of IRS systems, the IRS’s ability to accept and process these forms is delayed. The IRS is providing this relief because delays in the Service’s ability to accept and process these forms may affect the ability of many farmers and fishermen to file and pay their taxes by the March 1 deadline. The relief applies to all farmers and fishermen, not only those who must file late-released forms.

Notice 2013-5, 2013FED ¶46,268

Other References:

Code Sec. 6654

CCH Reference - 2013FED ¶39,560.48

CCH Reference - 2013FED ¶39,560.66

CCH Reference - 2013FED ¶39,560.895

Tax Research Consultant

CCH Reference – TRC FILEIND: 21,052.20

Comment

Thanks, Lion!

Comment

Working...