W-2 efile problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

W-2 efile problems

I've tried to accuwage my w-2, but keep getting rejection, I think, because I do not have an EIN. Has anyone else experienced this? Can I put in my PTIN? Do I have to get an EIN just to efile w-2?

Are you the employer?

The employer certainly needs an EIN. The employee does not.
    Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

EIN is mandatory

Assuming your question is about whether the employer's EIN must be transmitted with a client tax return which you efile, the answer is "yes."

If you try to efile with an inaccurate employer EIN, or even worse no employer EIN, your return will automatically be rejected.

Surely you jest about possibly using your PTIN!

[ Are you perhaps needing an EFIN ??? ]

FE

Comment

Jen - not sure from your OP what your situation is - sounds like you are trying to file a W-2 form for with SSA or other agency----So guess the question is - are you filing a W-2 form electronically for a payroll client - in which case you do need a EIN# (paper file or electronic - see below

FeDuke has another point depending on software- you might need an application or registration for that software before it will be processed.

Or are you entering into your Tax Software a clients W-2 form (Form 1040) and there is a "reject" from the W-2 info entered. Although no efiles, etc are being accepted yet ---- until at least 1/30/2013

I am really not clear - so giving this information if you are trying to efile W-2 forms for either yourself or clients payroll Payroll Processing needs an EIN# -

From Pub 15

are required to report employment taxes or give tax
        statements to employees or annuitants, you need an employer identification number (EIN).
        do not have an EIN, you may apply for one online.
        Go to the IRS.gov and click on the Apply for an Employer
        Identification Number (EIN) Online link. You may also
        apply for an EIN by calling 1-800-829-4933, or you can fax or
        mail Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification
        Number, to the IRS. Do not use a social security number
        SSN) in place of an EIN.
        If you are trying to file a W-2 form - whether it be for yourself or your employee - you most definetly will need an EIN#

Sandy

Comment

Accuwage

Is this what you are referring to????

FE

Comment

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was trying to test my client's w-2's on accuwage, like I have been doing for several years. Accuwage is showing errors because I don't have an EIN number. I am SE and have no employees. I am doing this for clients. I have never had this issue with accuwage before.

Comment

Working...
            X