2002 ~ child claimed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2002 ~ child claimed?

Doing a 2002 return. Is there a way to find out from the IRS if a child was claimed by non custodial parent in that year? Not able to contact him, so that is not an option.

Thanks,
    Rocky

Originally posted by Rocky
    Doing a 2002 return. Is there a way to find out from the IRS if a child was claimed by non custodial parent in that year? Not able to contact him, so that is not an option.

Thanks,
    Rocky
    At 4.33 in the morning you ask a tough question. I dont think you can. The IRS will not give you that info. That's privacy. Just file the return and approx 6-8 weeks you will know.

good luck
    Brian

Comment

He's right that

IRS won't tell you (or her). But, if she's gotta file anyway...

For faster service (if she's willing to spend the dough) file a RAL--they'll either pay or kick it out PDQ. If rejected, IRS agents will tell you (the preparer) by phone the next day that somebody else is claiming the kid.

Also can find out quicker with regular non-Ral e-file in 10-14 days.

Comment

Not much time left on this one since the 2002 paper return must be received by April 15th at the IRS if there is a refund coming.

Comment

I will disagree with Mr. Bart. You cannot file a prior year return electronically.
          Brian

Comment

File on paper

File the paper return claiming the exemption if you feel she is allowed to. What does the divorce decree say? If it says that he was allowed in 02 maybe you should not file claiming the child as a dependent, but still HOH.

Matt
            I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

Mom and Dad never married so no divorce decree, but Dad did pay support, but does not appear to be over half. Mom was married to current husband in 2002, so no HOH. We are taking the child with the understanding that it could be denied if someone else did claim her that year.

Appreciate all the responses during such a busy time...
              Rocky

Comment

Oh; sorry.

Originally posted by Deltax
                I will disagree with Mr. Bart. You cannot file a prior year return electronically.
                Guess I'll have to start reading the questions. I was thinkin' of '05 (it will work on those).

Thanks for the "mister." Gosh; that sounds pretty good! I may put up a sign requiring that all clients address me in such a lofty fashion (those that aren't too persnickety about what year I'm workin' on).

Comment

Working...
                X