Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Software - Happy or not?

Hello Everyone!

Just wondering your happiness rating with your current software. Please share what you are using and if it is functioning for you.

Personally I'm involved in the TRX Software conundrum. It is not functioning and flowing the way you would think it should. Looking into jumping ship. This forum is a wealth of experience and your opinions are valued.

Thanks,
    Beck

PS: I only have a small client base of about 80. Just 1040 and small businesses.

Software

We have a small practice also, and we have used TaxAct for several years. We have been very satisfied.

We are consolidating our practice with another firm, so we are probably going to switch in the next year or two. But not because we are unhappy with it. Only because it makes sense in terms of volume, and the fact that the other practice is using something else.

You may e-mail me if you want to discuss details.

BMK
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Drake - Highly Satisfied

And I've seen, used, and demoed other software.

My affinity with Drake goes back to the years when absolutely no one believed software programming could ever keep up with the changes in the tax law (circa mid-70s). The Drake family believed it could and as a result were several steps ahead when the big players moved in.

Customer support is great, and there has been one price increase in the last 15 years.

Software is menu-driven, rather than forms-driven. Thus it differs from ATX in that regard. I used TaxSlayer for a few years, which has great customer support as well, but is not very robust with more complicated entities in various states.

If you want "seamless" transition between GAAP books and tax returns, Ultra is your choice, but about triple the cost of Drake.

Comment

Extremely unsatisfied with TRX

I'm jumping ship because TRX can't seem to get a working software anywhere close to ready, and we are in the 11.9999...th hour, I believe. I've downloaded numerous demos and read a lot on several forums, and interestingly enough, I've narrowed my choices down to Drake or TaxAct. I'm leaning toward Drake, though, even though it is more expense, because it is easier to navigate and seems more comprehensive in handling lots of different situations. I do individuals only, including sole proprietorships, and I will be doing probably 150 or so returns, depending on whether or not I lose business from this late start due to software snafu.

Comment

Happy Drake user here. I love their customer support and their software is very good. I was a Taxwise user for over 10 years if not more. When they sold out the CCH their support went down the tubes. They also would not listen in regards to a certain problem that would show up year after year. I never thought I would get use to Drake because I was use to forms based software... but I did. First year it was a little slow but after that I know the screens verily well. Still do not know where to change various options I would like. So I generally always call them every year to help because I forget

Comment

Software

I switched from Proseries to Drake this year. There were forms that Proseries did not have available, but I needed in order to e-file. Proseries also nickled and dimed everytime there was something you needed.

Comment

Drake

I have been with Drake for the past 7 years, after using 4 other programs. I do ~800 returns and I am satisfied. Twice I have found errors in the Hawaii module and called support. Both times, Drake downloaded a corrected version within 24 hours.

Christopher Mewhort, EA
              Christopher Mewhort, EA
              mewhorttax.com

Comment

Drake is all I've ever used

I have access to a competitor's product a cost of virtually $0 and wouldn't think about switching.

Comment

Originally posted by Traveling EA View Post
                  I switched from Proseries to Drake this year. There were forms that Proseries did not have available, but I needed in order to e-file. Proseries also nickled and dimed everytime there was something you needed.
                  Been with Drake since the 1993 tax year (1994 filing season) when Best Tax Software went belly-up during the middle of tax season. Worst filing season I ever had with massive amounts of overtime to get the work out on a sorry tax software. Best was the best until that season.

After 4/15 I went to a meeting and Drake was one of the vendors. I picked up a trial copy and finished up all my extension on it instead of Best Tax Software.

Been with them ever since.
                  Jiggers, EA

Comment

No comparison

For me there is no better software than UltraTax. We use all the Thomson Reuters Creative Solution suite of software and the integration saves us a ton of time and file cabinet space. This year we switched to their SaaS version and so far, we have been very happy with it.
                    I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

Taxslayer Pro

Extremely Satisfied...

I switched from TaxWise.. They still dont have IL out yet.. Taxslayer has had IL since the 14th.. YAY!! Glad I made the Switch.

Chris

Comment

Pro Series

With all the packages I have tried there is no comparison. I don't what to have to "tweak" the returns like I had to do with Drake. I want it correct when I am done with it not have to check if the software did it right.

Dusty

Comment

I have used TRX products the last few years and jumped ship about 2 weeks ago. When Doug Hughes was going onto the ATXCommunity forum and using the posts to determine which problems needed to be fixed - I knew right away they were never going to be close to providing a finished product. If they aren't ahead of their customers in identifying the problems with their product, how are they going to be ready when e-filing season hits? Plus, their product his horrific. The worksheets are horrible and I knew right away it wasn't a product I'd want to renew next season so I decided quickly to make the jump.

Software has to work the way your brain works. If it doesn't, you'll struggle all season. Drake is that way for me. I'm sure it's terrific software but it doesn't work for me from the DEMO I used. Wow, their customers do seem to love it though.

I've switched to OLTPRO and am satisfied with it so far. It's a forms entry approach and I prefer that over anything else. The season has just started so we'll see if the software holds up but as of right now, it works great. The renewal price is very attractive for a small tax business. It's $700 the first year, $500 to renew if you do so early. That includes 1040 software with all 50 states, business software and all e-filing.

One goofy thing with OLTPRO - they give you a CD to load the program but it's horrific at loading. My computers didn't recognize the install or the CD very well so it took me a while to get it to load. The Demo and the actual software were that way. Once you get it installed though - no problems with updates as they install automatically.

You can customize the graphics of the software so that it shows YOUR corporate identity. I like that.

Comment

Drake

I just switched from Lacerte to Drake. I love Drake and would not go back to Lacerte if they let me use it for free. I would suggest using Ultra Tax (the best package out there) if you can afford it. If Ultra Tax is not in your budget, Drake is by far the best value out there. Ultra Tax and Drake clearly stood out as the 2 best packages in the AICPA survey (Ultra Tax for high end, and Drake for smaller firms). I have yet to come across anything that Drake cannot do that Lacete could.

Comment

Taxworks

Taxworks is struggling to get a working product out. Your on hold for at least 30 minutes when you call. Make may a change next year.
                              Really wish it was up and running correctly

Comment

Working...
                              X