Fringe Benefits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fringe Benefits

Client is the owner and also an employee of a S-corp. He told me his babysitter at home is being paid by his S-corp (he is the 100% owner). I explained to him in that case, whatever paid by the S-corp for his babysitter is considered taxable fringe benefit which should be included in his W-2 from the S-corp.

Any problem with it?

Yup, that is the way I would handle it. Might also check to see if that is a resolution which has been approved by "board of directors," and is in the minutes. Would he/spouse qualify for child care deduction? Could it qualify under Dependent Care Benefit? (Box 10).
    Last edited by Burke; 12-20-2012, 10:56 AM.

Comment

A Dependent Care program, whether it's a stand-alone plan established under Code §129 or as one choice available under a Cafeteria plan established under Code §125, is a possibility here ... but probably a remote one. Unless the Plan (§125 or §129) is made available to all employees (under rules that are fairly similar to the establishment of a retirement plan), it will fail the anti-discrimination test.

In that case it becomes a taxable fringe benefit, but then the T/P may qualify for the child care credit on his own personal return.
      Roland Slugg
      "I do what I can."

Comment

Originally posted by Roland Slugg View Post
        A Dependent Care program, whether it's a stand-alone plan established under Code §129 or as one choice available under a Cafeteria plan established under Code §125, is a possibility here ... but probably a remote one. Unless the Plan (§125 or §129) is made available to all employees (under rules that are fairly similar to the establishment of a retirement plan), it will fail the anti-discrimination test.

In that case it becomes a taxable fringe benefit, but then the T/P may qualify for the child care credit on his own personal return.
        Anti-discrimination test will not be a problem because the S-corp only has two employees, him and a part-time employee who is single with no dependent.

Can you point me to the procedure to set up the plan under Code 129?

Comment

He can not

Originally posted by AccTaxMan View Post
          Anti-discrimination test will not be a problem because the S-corp only has two employees, him and a part-time employee who is single with no dependent.

Can you point me to the procedure to set up the plan under Code 129?
          Receive more than 25% of the dependent care benefits.

Since you indicated he would be the only participant the plan would discriminate.

Comment

Working...
          X