IRS Form SS-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS Form SS-8

How long does it typically take for the IRS to process a Form SS-8 these days? Furthermore, should a tax professional with a POA try to wait, if possible, until he or she receives a determination letter from the IRS before sending in an amended return for a client?

ss-8

Originally posted by Tax Sleuth View Post
    How long does it typically take for the IRS to process a Form SS-8 these days? Furthermore, should a tax professional with a POA try to wait, if possible, until he or she receives a determination letter from the IRS before sending in an amended return for a client?
    We here at TMI believe every query deserves a response; even if the respondent doesn't know what the hell he's talking about , so...here goes:

I've never filed an SS-8 but I wouldn't be optimistic about speedy processing of such things which will probably be equivalent to that of dealing with substitute W-2s (IRS is sort of like an old tax preparer: if it's quirky & there's not much money in it, they'd druther not). I'd bet money on at least three to six months wait (if that). Also, as I understand it, IRS has to send the employer one to fill out, then wait 'til they get that back to hear the other side of the story and render a decision -- I can't imagine the employer will be in any big hurry to do this and possibly make himself liable for not only your guy, but maybe several others working/having worked there. Note: I assume you've told your client (if still employed there) that he's going to be quite unpopular, if not fired.

As to the determination letter, I would like to have it in hand before signing a 1040X which maybe results in a promptly spent refund -- if IRS later goes the "wrong way" on the SS-8, our noble taxpayer might want you to pay IRS back for him ("bad tax advice", you see).

On the other hand, according to the SS-8 instructions, no determination letters will be issued after the SOL expires, so if you're dealing with old stuff that could put you in a time-bind.

If nothing was withheld from his pay (likely if they're calling it "contract labor"), then maybe take a look at this form which might help get on with filing:

And, here's a discussion on it (old, but relevant):

Primary Forum for posting questions regarding tax issues. Message Board participants can then respond to your questions. You can also respond to questions posted by others. Please use the Contact Us link above for customer support questions.
    Last edited by Black Bart; 12-09-2012, 10:29 PM.

Comment

I agree with everything Bart said, (which may only prove that both of us don't know what we're talking about).

But it might affect the answer if you give a little more info about the reason for the SS-8. If you're doing this for an employer there's one answer, but if you're doing this for an I/C who has suddenly decided he's an employee there might be a different answer. And if it's the latter, I hope you've asked him if he cares anything about working for the employer in the future. Knowing the amounts involved might also be a useful piece of info, because in most cases the only thing involved is about 7% in tax savings at best.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
      X