Inheritance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inheritance

Have a VA resident all her life. TP died 2012 leaving cash to 1 of the children who lives in MA. Total value of Estate was 60k all cash. I know that VA doesn't have an inheritance tax but does MA have one? Thanks

Relevancy

I don't know the answer to your question, but why should MA laws have any effect on a VA estate ? ? ?

Comment

Some states as I am told have an inheritance tax. I didn't know if MA had one. Thanks

Comment

MA rules

Originally posted by TAX4US View Post
        Some states as I am told have an inheritance tax. I didn't know if MA had one. Thanks
        There could be exceptions, but I'm not aware of any state where an inheritance tax ever applies to the recipient of the assets.

Subsequent income from said assets is, of course, taxed at whatever state income tax rates apply where the recipient resides at the time of receipt of that income.

Comment

There is no Massachusetts inheritance tax. I know of only one state in the United States that has a true "inheritance tax" ... i.e. one that imposes a tax on beneficiaries ... and that is Kentucky. However, it is possible that there are others.
          Roland Slugg
          "I do what I can."

Comment

State inheritance tax - MORE

Originally posted by Roland Slugg View Post
            There is no Massachusetts inheritance tax. I know of only one state in the United States that has a true "inheritance tax" ... i.e. one that imposes a tax on beneficiaries ... and that is Kentucky. However, it is possible that there are others.
            WOW....the things you can learn on these boards:

"Some states impose a separate tax, called an inheritance tax, on a deceased person's property. The tax is paid by the recipient, not the estate. The rate depends on who inherits the property; usually, spouses and other close relatives pay nothing or a low rate. The states that impose an inheritance tax are: Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Nebraska, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Tennessee."

SOURCE: http://www.retirementliving.com/taxes-by-state

And humblest apologies to TAX4US

FE

Comment

MA Inheritance Tax

The MA Inheritance Tax would not apply in this situation.

Comment

Answered

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
                The MA Inheritance Tax would not apply in this situation.
                As noted earlier:

Originally posted by Roland Slugg View Post
                and my own cut/paste:

"Some states impose a separate tax, called an inheritance tax, on a deceased person's property. The tax is paid by the recipient, not the estate. The rate depends on who inherits the property; usually, spouses and other close relatives pay nothing or a low rate. The states that impose an inheritance tax are: Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Nebraska, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Tennessee."

FE

Comment

Originally posted by TAX4US View Post
                  Have a VA resident all her life. TP died 2012 leaving cash to 1 of the children who lives in MA. Total value of Estate was 60k all cash. I know that VA doesn't have an inheritance tax but does MA have one? Thanks
                  You did not ask but I will volunteer that the responsibility for paying any inheritance tax in a state that requires it of the recipient, would be the responsibility of that recipient and his/her tax preparer. You (or the deceased's estate) would not be required to do anything in the state the resident lived in and in which death occurred.

Comment

Working...
                  X