E-file after filing deadline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-file after filing deadline

I looked at form 8948 and the instructions, trying to figure out if this form needs to be attached to a paper filed tax return after filing season. Does anyone know? What makes it even more complicated is that some software providers have stopped accepting 1040 tax returns for e-file already while the IRS deadline is 11/23/12.

Gretel, I have similar issues and questions, however, what I understand is whether your Software Service Provider/and IRS, will accept the return as filed as Legacy or MeF.

If Legacy platform, will have to be a paper-filed return, if MeF, should process through electronic through the November date mentioned.

Since I never know until I submit to the Efile provider, my plan is to go ahead and try and then if it doesn't clear and it rejects, then paper file.

I just don't know what else to do.

Sandy

Comment

no form 8948

I don't think you have to file form 8948. See TTB pg 15-11

My reasoning from the info in TTB:
      If your software does not e-file after 10-15, your return is not eligible for e-file.
      If your return is not eligible for e-file, you do not need to file form 8948

As to the dates, I called my software company on 10-16. They efile after 10-15, and will continue to do so as long as the IRS receives them. Even she was a bit confused on the dates into December.

So I looked at the "2012 IRS e-file Refund Cycle Chart" and in the column that says "IRS accepts your return between. . ."
      12/21 - 12/27/12

and I still don't know the deadline date!

Comment

Thanks, Sandy and Sandi. My software won't e-file any more this year. I wasn't sure if this is excuse enough for not filing the form. I trust TTB on this.

I wished IRS would not burden us tax return preparers who try to play by the rules as good as we can and e-file almost all of our tax returns. IRS should assume that we have a very good reason not to e-file a handful of them.

Comment

Working...
        X