Bye Bye 2011, Hello 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bye Bye 2011, Hello 2012

The real end of year 2011...to the tax practitioners...
    Last edited by Questionguy101; 10-15-2012, 05:16 PM.

Waiting on my last 8879 to be faxed to me. It is 7:23 pm est.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Finally left the office. Sitting at home waiting for my Australian client to give me the go ahead for direct debit on the fed balance due. Then I will xmit. Have 2 other clients & still waiting for info. Doesn't matter on them. They get refunds. They just pay more for paper returns. I'm on PDT. (The time zone, not the meds.)

Comment

We can e-file MEF returns until something like 23 November. Of course, they'll still be late. Can't e-file Legacy returns after 11:59 p.m. tonight, though.

Comment

My software suggested (actually I think required) any Legacy efiles be submitted by 11AM at the Efile Provider Center (software) but seems like I still have until 10/19 to also submit, not timely of course - after 10/19 Legacy shuts down, and only MeF, which also won't be timely, but can be electronically efiled.

What is up with the Legacy files for 2011 - and filing by 11 AM on 10/15/2012 - I have always been under the impression that efiles could be submitted up to midnight (Efile Provider-Software Center) say on 4/15 or 10/15.

This was a way HUGE effort for me today - to have date/time stamps - the 6 returns I efiled - 5 were "tagged" as Legacy (when submitted - automatically by computer software), and only 1 was MeF. I was scrambling to have signature forms prior to the 11AM time frame.

And I am still waiting for the associated State "Piggyback" returns

IRS just needs to give us some leeway while they "sort out" their system.

First time in forever, that I have not been completing returns and efiling until the actual "drop dead" deadline hour on/aboutt 10/15!

I am going to not do this agiain, if I can help it, and issue notices next filing season, that I need all information received so I can efile prior to 10/1/XXXX

I need some much needed sleep as I am sure "many" of us do tonight!

Sandy

Comment

What is the difference between Legacy and MeF? How do you know how your return goes? I saw this email and was confused.

I use TaxslayerPro software. All my returns are from one state that I am doing this late.

Linda EA

Comment

I think I had a morning, sometime about 11 a.m., deadline for Legacy efiles also. Something about transmitting to the IRS soon enough that the states could also transmit and acknowledge back before the cutoff. I know Legacy returns can be resubmitted if rejected for a few days, but can new returns be e-filed during these few days if Legacy?

Legacy is IRS's old computer program/system that takes all forms and schedules that could ever be efiled. MEF is Modernized Electronic Filing or a similar acronym for the IRS's new computer system. For 2010 it took only a handful of forms, so most of my clients went Legacy and only a few (and extensions) went MEF. For 2011 MEF takes most forms, so almost all of mine went MEF. MEF has been taking entity returns for a few years and can take current plus two prior years of biz returns. You can attach .pdf files to a MEF efile.

I have some clients that dropped off late enough that I told them I wasn't preparing their returns until after 15 October, and some that haven't dropped off yet. I hope they'll all be MEF so I can still efile. My software puts a MEF icon when I export to efile so I know how it's going; no icon if Legacy.

Comment

Working...
              X