1098t Pd Not By Tp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1098t Pd Not By Tp

If the taxpayer has a 1098T, but the tuition was not paid by the TP, can it still be claimed? It was paid on her behalf.
    I think not, but I could be wrong.
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Who claims tp as dependent

My understanding is that the 1098T..hope credit or lifetime learning credit...goes to the taxpayer who claims the student as a dependent...regardless of who actually paid for the tuition...

HarveyLucas

Comment

Claims herself

She is the taxpayer. Her employer paid the tuition on her behalf.
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

If the employer paid the money and excluded the payment from the employee's income, then the employee cannot claim a tax credit. If the payment for the tuition was included on the W-2, then the employee can claim the credit.

Comment

reaching again

Thanks y'all. I was hoping the "employer paid" would be treated like "Grandma paid" it, and my client could take the deduction.
          My feet are back on the ground now.
          dern

Comment

Working...
          X